HybridZ

Finally got started

Finally got back home from Georgia and got started.

Started with the front suspension, painting and replacing worn/damaged parts and installing Toyota calipers and repacked the bearings.

There is a mess 'o stuff in my garage

I wanted to get my suspension back in so I could move the car a little to help have more clearance for the engine hoist so I started on the HLSD. I took my open diff to a trans shop to see if they could pull the bearings without damaging them, they gave it half a try and told me they couldn't do it with out damaging the cages, so off to Harbor Fright for a bearing puller. I got the passengers side of with no problem and started on the drivers side, it started off so to I ran the OBX unit inside to put in the freezer to try to help with reinstallation. The puller must have slipped and damaged the cage when I was away. New bearings ordered, 5 days out.

I neglected to get the clutch bleeder from speedway so I just bolted the engine and trans together. I'm going to have to pull the engine after any way to clean up the heads and install the cam so the engine will be on a stand

Installed the front crossmember and built a lifting bar for the engine and transmission. The lifting bar worked out pretty well, turned one way it hung the engine and trans at a good angle to slip into the bay and then turned 180 degrees it lifted it level.

Placed the engine/trans in the car and spent a fair amount of time aligning the engine to the diff, I had string lines, levels,. I used the old trans mount from the Datsun, cutting it in half and boxing it in with 2 X 1/8" flat.

I got started on the trans crossmember and should finish that today. I'll have to throw the shifter and drivers seat it and make some engine noises and bang out some speed shifts.

I think I may have a cracked oil pan, will pull it and check it and weld it up at work tomorrow if needed.

post-33376-0-20178300-1371996566_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-02565800-1371996582_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-85960700-1371996595_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-03654300-1371996643_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-65195300-1371996668_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-19733300-1371996697_thumb.jpg

post-33376-0-32452900-1371996720_thumb.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't updated for a little bit buy have been making slow progress.

Recieved my diff output bearings and completed the OBX installation. I put the diff in the freezer for a while to shrink it a little to help get the bearings on and then heated the bearings with a heat gun until they were hot to the touch (with bare hands). Two light taps with a 12oz hammer and a socket that fit the inner race and they dropped right on. I had a little more work setting the backlash, the new diff was really tight getting in and only had about .001" backlash. I measured the right and left shims and found they were about .006" different so I swapped the sides and carefully sanded the now left hand side, this resulted in .008" backlash at the tip of the ring gear just a little more than the .006" the open diff had. The OBX preload ended up at the max tolerance, I assume that will wear in a little..

I pulled the engine back out to weld in the mounts and clean up and paint the bay and make a new battery box. I realized that I had pulled out the steering rod before placing the mounts so of course it was hitting the drivers side mount! I spent a little time grinding the mount to fit the rod in and then reinforced the mount with some .75" pipe and .125" steel, back in business!

With the motor out I installed new clutch and brake masters and replaced the brake booster. I'll route the brake lines once I get my headers built.

I got a pilot bearing for the T56 from Summit that listed the LS1 as an application. It turned out the bearing was for an LS3 and wouldn't allow my tranny to mate with the bell all the way. This is my first time assembling a clutch by the way. I did stop before I broke anything and did some research to figure out the problem. I read on a vette forum that a guys builder had the same problem but "fixed" it by getting longer bellhousing bolts and cranking it together. They couldn't get it to turn over so they figured they had a problem. It took out the crank thrust bearing and reluctor wheel in his new engine.

Got the engine and trans back in, had to dress it out a little and I think it's looking sick!

Finished up my fuel tank and coated it with Red Kote, mounted my regulator and started piping to the engine.

I built some 280zx rear disc adapters at work, they still need a little tweaking but are gonna work out.

Today I rattle canned the beautiful gold off the Rota D2's I practically stole from a guy while in Georgia.

I'm gonna focus this weekend on finishing my headers and getting some rubber under this thing, I'm getting really excited!

If you more experianced guys see any red flags please let me know.

2013-06-25_21-07-09_896.pdf

2013-07-01_00-00-02_354.pdf

2013-07-01_00-00-32_370.pdf

2013-07-02_00-10-17_864.pdf

2013-07-02_00-26-00_801.pdf

2013-07-04_00-59-23_976.pdf

2013-07-04_00-59-44_31.pdf

2013-07-10_11-03-50_207.pdf

I hear ya Matt, really all I have left to do is everything.

It seems like the clock spins a lot faster as soon as I hit the garage. I think I'm gonna shelf my wide body mods until winter and just do what I need to get it looking decent.

I have yet to double check my driveshaft length to make sure yours won't work for me. I was thinking if the price was right I might want to get it from you and just have a local shop shorten it for me. I have a sweet almost rust free '75 rear bumper I may be willing to trade lol!

I never use pilot bearings.  The bearing material is harder than the input shaft on the trans, so if the bearing goes and you keep driving it, it will likely take the input shaft with it.  I've used bushings in all my cars for the last 6 years. You might get lucky on this, but I never do...

Matt, If I can break even on costs and you get rid of some parts your not using I'll be in. You can add a little cash to the turbo fund! I know your car dosent have a bumper thats why that big chrome anchor would look so sweet, just think of the extra traction you'd get!

Sunny, I did a little research on bearing vs bushing and it seemed to be about a 50/50 split on what guys ran. I just decided to run with what the factory installed. If anyone has any strong opinions I'd love to hear them, I have to pull the engine at least once more to get my headers in.

• 3 weeks later...