HybridZ

Finally bought a 240Z!

Hybrid240z

I bought a 240Z two weeks ago but haven't had time to post a message until now. I have been very busy. Well here it is... It is a red 1971 240Z, with a 280 block, E88 head, Moon cam, triple SK carbs, ITG intake filter, ported intake manifold, headers, modified exhaust, centerforce clutch, 78 5-speed tranny, and a 4.11 diff. The guy had bought the car from the original owner like 15 years ago. The original owner had painted it from the stock Zorange to red. It still has the same red paintjob. He has modified it over the years to the setup it has right now. The car has no noticable rust except for a rust hole in the corner between the bottom of the passenger door and rear wheel. I will fix that when I paint the car next year. Floors are solid, no rust. The interior is completely stock except for a seat kit that he installed and a half dash cover. The dash had some cracks in it. The car runs really good and it is quick. He said he went up against a new corvette not so long ago on the highway. He said that he was ahead of the vette all the way till about 130 then the vette pulled ahead 2thumbs.gif (4.11, not good for high speed cry2.gif ).

I will not do any major modifications until next year when I buy a house and have the room to tear the car down. I do have some questions about changes that can be done. Can the 5th gear of a 83ZX 5-speed be put into the car's tranny. So I can keep the gears it has but have a better top speed. Should I keep the ITG setup or should I make a cold air intake setup. I am worried about it picking up the hot air in the enginebay. Is colortune the best way for tuning carbs(I am new to carbs and want to learn)

Oh yeah the car has a new three core radiator. The stock fan is unshrouded but it still runs really cool and doesn't even get hot. I will want to change to an electric fan.

Pictures of my car can be seen at http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=729247&uid=519685

The last three images are modified images showing what the car would look like with different rims. 2thumbs.gif

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Marcos

Congrats. I was checking out the photos. Sounds like my car! I even have a similar steering wheel, amp mounted in same location. Triple Del'Lortos on my L28 with E88 head (won't be transplanted until next month!) and I just got a Nissan T5 to replace the ZX 5 speed. Congrats on your car. I'm looking for an LSD and if I can find the 300 turbo setup, that's what I'll use. Other than that, if I have to buy one, I'll bet a 3.90 diff from a ZX. Great car, again!

Yeah Mike a 3.9 diff should be good. The 4.11 is very low and I will make decisions next year on whether to keep it or go with a 3.9. A 4.11 fits better on a drag only car. My car is going to be a street car. I will probably keep the 4.11 if I go with the 83 5-speed or if I can modify the 5th gear ratio on the 78 5-speed. Just to post it up Bang, Mike's Z shop is in Whittier. I have heard from the previous owner of my car and others that they do good work. Don't know first-hand though.

Marcos