HybridZ

Function of vents in roof panel in 280zx with t-tops

Hey guys, new to the forum world, I generally just peek out from dark corners...watching, judging...but this time, I have a question.  In the t-top zx I have, I have removed the interior roof plastic piece that is just behind and above the seats. There are vents in it and my question is: What are these vents for? They are little slits, I noticed there are holes under them (well, technically above them, but it is covering the holes).  The reason I want to know is I am doing some interior modifications now and it would be easier to go through with my plans if those vents could be blocked off with no consequences.  There's probably nothing to worry about, but I just wanted to ask to see if someone knew.  Thank you! (I did use the search button...and a haynes manual...nothing)

• 2 weeks later...

Actually...it is a vent of sorts that has a tunnel that runs across to the B piller vents outside the car. They SIPHON the heat from the top of your roof/hatch area. For real, check it out. Does it hurt anything to delete??...I don't think so..but I have keep them functional on my 3 ZX's.

^^^ Good to know. The t-top 280zx is really good at acting like a greenhouse in 100 degree plus weather. I've got my t-tops limo tinted and need to get my back 3 windows tinted a lighter shade so I can still see at night.

Oh...thanks for the information, I was curious about it, I noticed that the vents were real instead of just ribs, Ive already deleted them on the panel though...oops.  I have three others that I can modify if I notice too much of a difference..  I hear you on the tint.  the hatch is so dark I can barely see during the day, the t tops Im going to have re tinted, the tint looks likeit was done in someones living room.