HybridZ

Erratic temp gauge quick fix

My 40+ yr old original temp gauge is erratic( works fine one day then goes on crazy mode and  back to OK status), I want to keep the original gauges and not to mess with old electronics  , the plan is to add a secondary mini temp gauge , there is an extra spot on the LS1 engine to do this,  gauge/adapter on hand.  But this mod will be l done  at a  later date, for now I will place this temp/digital/gauge as a quick fix in order to monitor the temperature , I will place the probe on the returning radiator hose ( no butchering, the probe all it needs is contact)  and the small digital gauge      ( 3''x1'')  under the driver's side cabin vent, that will keep me informed >>>> post-36683-0-46690100-1374524453_thumb.jpg  :icon12:

Edited by PLATA

Good and clean connection at the sender ? Have you tried a new sender ? It's cheap enough . To test the gauge you will need a resistor box ( gauge tester ) .

Sender is fine/clean/tight. The old gauge is just tired. When she goes in hibernation I will proceed to a permanent fix. Now all I want , is to ride/enjoy her as much as I can in fair weather :icon12:  

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good . But I don't think you are getting good temp. reading from there . Since you don't have P/S , can you put the temp. probe in one of those holes in front of the head ( driver side ) ? I think it's hotter there and that's where the CTS for the ECM . Just a thought .

It is fairly accurate, at 89c=190f it kicks the fans, the auto fan relay is set to go at 175f , so it is Ok for now. It's keeping me informed  and that was the target for this quick fix. :2thumbs:  

Edited by PLATA

What's off temp. ? What's your T-stat temp. ? If off temp. is lower than T-stat then your fans run all the time , once they are activated .

Pre set to turn on at 175/185, turns off the fans at 165f , it has worked fine for over a yr. The ECM for some reason was not sending the signal for proper functions.  :icon47: