HybridZ

rusted under vent panel

looking thru repair sections i've not come accross anyone repairing or replacing this section.. so far im able to do the outer/inner portion of body panels to replace due to rust but im lost as to how to repair the portion under the vent panel behind the hood where the wiper motor is mounted.. thru the years i guess they never cleaned out this area since it was filled with pineneedles which trapped rain/moisture and pitted this area pretty good. there was also a vent box next to the wiper motor? that bascially rusted off at the base..

my idea was to cut the top section to open up some clearance so i can make patch panels but not quite sure if i have to gut the dash so nothing gets burned underneath.. is there  a known replacement aftermarket panel for this area?

its pitted pretty good but has not yet eatend thru. a few pitted areas i can poke thru the metal if i hit it hard enough lol.. i was thinking of applying corrseal on it and shoot it with primer then just leave it at that.. evenutally will have to address it somehow.. while the car is somewhat in repair stage i figure i try to take a shot at it.. did you apply fiberglass the whole area over the rust?..

Edited by 77moneypit

Mine was rusty at the base of the chimney. I drilled out the spot welds that hold on the cover for the chimney, then I drilled the spot welds that held the chimney to the cowl. I ground out as much rust as I could. Now I have a million holes!!! So, I made a fiberglass chimney, then bonded the chimney to the cowl using resin and cloth to both fill the holes and hold the chimney in place.

Similar problem with mine, lots of pine needles and such some pitting, no holes though.

I cleaned it out as best as I can, shot rust inhibitor inside and coated it thick with paint.

Realistically it is very difficult to do repairs in that area short of cutting access portals to get to the trouble spots. If it is a concern with heavy pitting I would attack the weak portions with a hammer to give yourself a reference point, cut it out from the inside of the cabin and patch from the inside as well.