HybridZ

load leveler problem

Guest TAlchemist

Guest TAlchemist

ok after searching for information of pulling the engine froim my Z i have not found enough help so here goes.

i have the load leveler that you can get from Harbor Frieght and need to know where to connect the 4 chains. i have a standard 280z with L28 and cannot think of a place on the rear passanger side to connect it. Also the rear driver side is missing the standard hoist mount.

This might not be help, but I have always just used a chain and hoist with my inline 6, connected to the head (rearmost exh. man. bolt and opposite side front of head). This was with the engine only (no trans attached). I just manhandle the motor into place.

just FWIW.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

A lot of the 70's Datsuns had two chain mount brackets near the front and rear cylinder head of the motor and on opposite sides of each other to balance and align the load when pulling a motor I used the same Harbor Freight engine tilter and connected two chains to the front and rear brackets and pulled the motor with the tranny. A lot of these mounts were removed by owners!

Guest TAlchemist

my rear mounts bolt is broken in the housing. I need 4 mouting points....

i was thinking of removing the starter and using the starter mount and front regular mount for passanger side...

dont know where on driver side, i am pulling it this sat so i need some help..thanks

If you are suggesting using the valve cover bolts to lift the engine ,I wouldn`t recomend it. they are way too small to safely support the engine alone.

And with the tranny still hooked it would be even more dangerous. The tilter will put a side load on the bolts making it more likely to snap them.

I would hook the rear to the top bellhousing bolts and,somehow hook the front to some of the brackets on the front of the engine somwhere.

Don`t get into too big of a hurry. Just take your time and be safe. Make sure that everything is solid and secure."It`s just a car,it`s not worth it to rush and risk getting hurt ;)

I would maybe use one of the intake bolts at the front,or if the thermostat housing unbolts. you could use one of the bolts that goes directly into the head on the drivers side and on the pass side use the factory hook.

It sounds good anyway :confused:

Guest TAlchemist

thanks, that sounds like a plan,

i will test it by simply removing stress from the front mounts and holding it there while i look at the bolts....

thanks for your help...i cannot wait to get to tearing the engine down..thanks

Guest TAlchemist

hey denny,

i just got an idea on the front mount, how about the bolts that held the fuel rail to the front of the block,

kinda like the stock hoist mount but in the front cover....use one it is bigger than the other and the regular mount..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TAlchemist

i wanna thank everyone, i finished removing the engine last weekend and finished the tear down today.

i am so happy. The block is in increadible condition. i have done a basic cleaning and degreasing.

the pistons are solid and clean and everything is nice.