HybridZ

First try bracket racing LS2/T56

Went to a track that has a cruddy reputation because it is under new management. Unfortunately, it is under new ownership, but under same management. Night was burdened with one guy dropping his driveshaft half way down the track (I won't judge him for that) one dude ran off the end of the track into a field, and another guy broke his tranny case and dumped about a gallon of tranny fluid right in the staging area. After all that cleanup I got about 6 runs, 2 of which were 7.17s. But my lights were terrible and my ETs all over the place. So I threw $10 into the race in the foot brake class just to get to experience the dial-in with separate trees. Fastest car in this class by far. Red lighted first race and shifted to third late. Went to tower and bought back in. Second race red lighted, but the slower car red lited first, so I won. Third race a bye. Fourth race, the staging guy says:"There's three of you left, you can split the prize $500 3-ways and call it a night." I say:"He'll no, I came to race!" Both those races were 7.18s so I moved my dial in from 7.14 to 7.16. Fourth race I'm racing Jack Palance look-alike in an 80s Ford Fairmont. I'm thinking:"I got this!" His dial in is 10.83 (1/8 mile, mind you). Similar reaction times but he gets to leave like a month before me. I'm running him down and just before the timers he stomps on his brakes as I fly past him with a 7.11 breaking out. His next opponent red lited and and Curly takes home the money. I hit the TnT lane and yank out a 7.18 followers by a 7.13. I had a lot of trouble staying straight today mostly from my arms flapping around as I shift. .

Heck no! In bracket racing the fastest car doesn't necessarily win. The most consistent, experienced, wisest driver wins. I got beaten by a car two seconds slower. Moral of the story: 1) if you wanna good drag car, use a powerglide. 2) if you opponent looks like Curly from "City Slickers", take the money and run! I've been working with a pedal operated practice tree, but I gotta wire it to work off the clutch pedal in my car. On the to do list. Why do windshield wipers and a heater keep getting knocked further down the list? It was still really fun and educational.

Heck no! In bracket racing the fastest car doesn't necessarily win. The most consistent, experienced, wisest driver wins. I got beaten by a car two seconds slower. Moral of the story: 1) if you wanna good drag car, use a powerglide. 2) if you opponent looks like Curly from "City Slickers", take the money and run! I've been working with a pedal operated practice tree, but I gotta wire it to work off the clutch pedal in my car. On the to do list. Why do windshield wipers and a heater keep getting knocked further down the list? It was still really fun and educational.

Sounds like you had a great time.  Sounds like you're enjoying your car too!

• 2 weeks later...

First thing you have to do to consistently win at bracket racing is put an automatic in the car.  There is now way a manual tranny car can be as consistent as an auto.  Doesn't matter how fast the car is - it's consistency that counts and that is really hard to come by with a stick.