HybridZ

"Motec"ing a L series engine

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster!

I have a 260z which i would like to convert to EFI for reasons of drivability, economy, and of course performance. Is it worth spending big $$$ on a quality after market ECU given the L series is decades behind current engine design.

I am leaning towards Motec simply because they are known for their quality product, features, and ease of tuning. I would like to keep the engine N/A. I will adding extractors, mild cam, larger throttle body, with a ported head.

If anyone has gone this route (high end ECU with L-series) i would be interested in your comments or recommendations.

Regards

Kim

I think you should go ahead and use the top of the line system, the reason for this is that the predominant engine changes in the past several decades have been in the electronics and management and not in the actual engine.

For an L series engine you are far ahead by improving the engine management (electronics) and putting some work into the head ie port/polish good valve job etc. You will find that you will have a very reliable and enjoyable engine.

Dragonfly

motec is VERY expensive.i think an ecu with no harness is about $3000.they are used mostly in professional racing because of the data logging capabilities.some even come with telemetry for remote adjustment by your engineers in the pits.twm induction has some throttle body units with injectors that will bolt to oem su manifold.thay also have tb units that bolt up in place of weber side draft for 6 throttles.best result for street would probably be a 75 to 78 z efi manifold with sds system and bigger throttle body.

Guest Anonymous

hey kenny, whats this about you saying that us hybriders might be getting a discount?? i would really like too know since i plan on buying a unit or 2 once i get back from boot camp and have some spending money