HybridZ

L26 rebuild which combo ?

Guest sball

Guest sball

I am rebulding an l26 for a 250gto replica and everything will be chrome and the block in matching body colour (silver). I have an L28 (old) and 2 l26's (old) the l28 has an N54 head (I think) one L26 has E88 and one has E30 I have an 'A' cam which is worn and the E30 head has a high duration cam fitted in perfect nick. All Australian motors have dished pistons so I'm using those. I also have standard SU's. I'm intending to port match the manifold , at the moment the inlet ports of the manifold match the E30 head in diameter, but the E88 has considerably larger openings. My question is If one head has bigger ports and valves and I'm using the same carbs, will there be any significant difference in performance ? Or is it a waste of time to bother with cams and head no's if the carbs only allow so much CFM ?

Any feedback would be good as my only experience with these engines is 6 months of driving the Z with the stock setup and finding it has good topend power and no torque, spinning the wheels would be impossible.