HybridZ

Turbos and handling

Hey all, I'm new here (though some may know me from zcar.com--Shaun B.) and wanted to know if any of you with first-gen Z's with turbos autocross. I love autocrossing my '78 with its mostly stock engine, and this summer I'm planning at least installing an aftermarket cam, Weber TB, headers, 2.5" exhaust, and maybe a very amateur porting job on one of my extra N47 heads :D My question is, it's also possible I'd have the money to go with a ZX turbo swap, V8, or further mods to the NA L28 (parts above were free with a parts car!!) and I want what's best for autocrossing. I'm planning on running SM2 in SCCA races, I'm not into winning a class, just beating my friends :cool: and from driving a friend's RX7 TurboII and listening to others with turbo cars, I gather that a turbo isn't always a help in tight races like this. So basically, I want anyone who has a lot of luck with a turbo to let me know, cause there's a lot I like about the turbo swap vs. the V8. Thanks,

Guest Anonymous

I would think a turbocharged engine in Auto-X wouldn't have a huge advantage unless it spooled pretty fast, your on the gas and off so much in autocross (from what it looks like, I'm not an autocrosser) that I'd question that you could make usable boost before the next corner came up.

Just a opinion though, perhaps if the track was layed out longer then the turbo could spool and get you moving.

That said the Porshe guys do it I guess, but I'd bet you'd have to get in the gas and get it spooling early so you could exit the corner on boost. *shrug*.

Regards,

Lone

ANTI-LAG. This is what you need. The rally guys use it. Its a extra injecter in the exhuast that puts fuel in when you back of the gas. This keeps the turbo spooled. Sounds wicked to. It will scare all the dogs in the neigbourhood and probably get you arrested. But you will have fun doing it.

Douglas

tell me more. i was watching rally on speedvision and those cars straight sound like

some frankenstein monster the way the turbo is setup, like a supersonic sound like a blower, but not as "geary" sounding, like this high pitched whistle. i like it. in the next coming months

im gonna do a 280zt, using the l28e and the stock zxt setup, bov, and fmic, should be

pretty spool happy, and make the blowoff sound!!!!! hey what about the cold start injector

replaced with a full size one, i saw one car that had that and wonder how its set up and if

it works well, i would think it wouldnt work so good because there is no angle there, and wouldigive off a good spray to help that much.... i say stock setup now to get it running

but i want a fullblown turbo rocket to develop,BOOOOOOST.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by ZROSSA:

ANTI-LAG. This is what you need. The rally guys use it. Its a extra injecter in the exhuast that puts fuel in when you back of the gas. This keeps the turbo spooled. Sounds wicked to. It will scare all the dogs in the neigbourhood and probably get you arrested. But you will have fun doing it.

Douglas

hehe thats funny, but I wouldn't recommend it for anything but high altitude racing... rally guys get into these types of racing tongue.gif Before I get into why I dont recommend it, it would be good to understand how it works. Rally cars when racing high in the mountains have major spool problems with the thinning air and constant throttle press/depressing, so they must have boost running all the time. To cope with this they use a system called "anti-lag" which when the driver lets off the throttle the computer advances the timing and extra fuel is dumped into the exhaust manifold. The manifold it very hot and ignites the unburned fuel which explodes, quickly spooling up the turbo. When the throttle is put back on the computer switches back to normal timing. The problem with this is there is a lot of stress on the manifold on top of the already abused manifold found in rally cars. So it is used only in special stages like up in the mountains. To run a system of this type would require a extremely strong exhaust system and turbo that could take very high temperatures. Anything else would be destroyed in a matter of minutes, so... not recomended :( It would be great if you could pull it off, they sound wicked crazy and flames pop out of the exhaust every time you let off the throttle... very cool :D

I got to see an EVO VII when I went for Mitsubishi training in Cali once...

The EVO VII's anti-lag is a little different than previous versions.

They actually blow off back into the exhaust now...it's kinda cool...

There's a company here in town that makes an anti lag kit, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I can remember where it's at. I'll have to do some searching.

Umm, the AEM ECU I'm tinkering with has Anti-Lag features built into it. You simply RETARD timing way back and if you want I guess you can run extra fuel too. The idea is to ignite LATE and have the mixture still burning when the exhaust valve opens. I believe this is how most of the rally guys do it, I'm not sure they actually run injectors into the exhaust manifold. I'm told EGTs SKYROCKET and that turbo damage is a very real possibility.

SDS E and F systems have it too. To quote my install manual.... "For racing applications ONLY" they say you can program it to retard the timing in the lowest of map positons (when TB is closed) and to dump in all the fuel you can :D:D:D I will not be testing this on my car as I value turbo life and my exhaust manifold in one piece. later

~Kenny