HybridZ

Information about Mikuni's ?

Hi, I just bought some Twin barrel Mikuni's but Im a bit confused. They have Solex written on them as well as mikuni...what does this mean?

one side of the barrel is 44mm...and the other side is 38mm....so what size mikuni's do I have?

Any other info on them would be much appreciated as well..

Cheers

Ray

You have a 44mm mikuni with 38mm chokes (and not "starting" choke). Mikuni/Solex are very similar to Webers and Del'Lortos. You can get books on the last two, I know, which will help a ton in knowing what all of the circuits do, which jets are which, and selecting choke and venturi sizes for your displacement. I have a set of 42mm Del'Lortos on my new motor, but I have not pulled them off to determine choke size. I'll do that after I get the OTHER parts car stripped an hauled off.

Thanks Mike, Much appreciated.

I have e-mailed Mikuni in japan to see if they have any manuals for them.

Are the webbers/Del'lortas/mikuni all similar enough that I could buy a book on the other two and everything will still make sense ?

Cheers

Probably, but be careful. Once you know how they work, you should be able to ID all the parts on yours and cross reference them to your Mikunis. I have the Weber/Del'Lorto book and they are VERY similar. All are good carbs.