HybridZ

exhaust manifold

Guest bang847

Guest bang847

IM000759.JPG

Hey guy i gonna pull that engine. i got the intake off as you can see but the exhaust manifold mating with the "y 2-1" piece wont come off.. am i missing anything? there were 2 bolts on that flange but i removed them already..

where the 2 pieces meet i can feel it move loosely but they dont want to seperate... any thing I am forgeting??

Thanks guys

Guest Anonymous

I have found the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe tend to rust together with the gasket and usually require a little man handling to break loose and will usually free up as the engine is pulled. The 280 Z has three bolts on the flange

Guest bang847

well as you can see the tube for the smog pump get in the way of man-handeling the exhausy manifold.. i have tried bolting it back on and man-handeling the exhaust pipe but that was of no use... can i stick something between the flanges to pry them apart? use wd-40? hammer?

Guest Zpeed

i just got my grinder, and cut the thing off, if you don't need the actaul piping, then cut the piping get it out, and then man handle it,

you can cut it under the car, so that u can weld it up later also, just be sure u don't cut to far back, or else you won't be able to get the piping out, with the angles..

mine was rusted to the bone... that was my way of getting it off

Guest gprix1

I think you are talking about where the down pipe meets the exhaust manifold. If you are, there are not two bolts holding it together but three. Feel around, you'll see what I'm talking about. The thing will fall apart when you take that one off.

Yup, 3 bolts. I broke two of them off on the 280 parts car yesterday. The flange STILL wouldn't come off. I used my Sawzall to cut the pipe just about 8" below the flange. I then hammered back and forth on the short piece remaining and it popped off on about the 4th hit.

Guest Anonymous

You can use a thin chisel to go between the flanges but go easy if you want to save them and use them over. Pull the motor out and get in the empty engine bay and alligator wrestle it like Crocodile Dundee or wear a cowboy hat and bull dog it to submission like Roy Rogers used to do when he jumped off Trigger at full gallop to tackle and bull dog the guy in the black hat. (but stop short of a fist fight because the flanges fight back dirty with steel knuckles).