HybridZ

280z 2+2 or 240z?

I currently have a pretty clean 76 2+2 280z. It just got the top end rebuilt and runs good. Being that I'm 16 I want to go fast and since I dont make much money I thought I'd start attacking weight before I go for more power. I've been thinking lately and Im thinking about getting a 240z shell and dropping the L28 in it. I know the 240z's are a lot lighter so would that make them handle better?

Is this reasonable? Are most parts compatible from the 280 to the 240? Thanks 

See what thinking does for you. It points you in the right direction and frequently costs money. Finding a car as complete as possible makes a build easier. Look for as little rust as possible on a 240z. Bubbling paint just in front of the rear wheels and just behind the door is a typical spot that is over looked. The floor boards need to have everything pulled up and examined along with the rear hatch area and below the battery tray. Most parts can swap over and parts are available. You are correct going from a 280Z 2+2 to a 240Z will be the fastest, best and least expensive way to have a lighter car which equals better performance. I purchased my 240Z when I was 18. Do not destroy it and you will have something you can alter and change for many years as your income changes and Ideas of what the car should look like change. As I now turn 49 I have my car the way I want it. It went through a stock phase for a very short period of time. Then wheels and tires and suspension work. Then Motor work was needed and I had a 2400 cc build done with T ripple Webers and a 5 speed. The motor was never right but I drove it. Needing more education the car sat in my garage for years. Then I had more income and the internet was developed so searching and buying parts was easy. I started planning a build. The car was finished five years ago and it is great fun.

Yes, the 280Z L28 is an easy swap to the 240Z, but you'll lose the EFI unless you swap a lot more than the engine over.  Swapping to the 240Z SU carbs will fix that and allow a little more power.  BUT, You're 16, so unless you've got some $$$ to blow, then I wouldn't suggest you take that route. Remember Mr. Myagi's words" Drivers license is not replacement for eyes, head or heart."

Just driving your 280Z 2+2 is going to be plenty of fun, and not that much different than the 240Z for the $...  If you were going to be looking into autocrossing and such, Then Sure go ahead blow the $$$ on the 240Z and swap and upgrade and all that to your hearts content. BUT for a 16 yr old Daily driver to school and occasionally racing (in a safe controlled manner on a track) that 76' 2+2 would be fine.  You'd be best off Upgrading brakes and suspension BEFORE changing around your engine.  The Toyota 4 runner brake swap is really good and worth it for the cheap price. especially if you get the cores from the junkyard.  You shoudl also look into better seats and belts if youre going to be going very fast. Remember these cars are 30+ years old.

Edited by Pharaohabq

Im 17, also don't make much, and have a 77 280z 2+2. In my opinion, I would stick with the 2+2 and spend the money that you do get beefing up the 280 suspension and engine. I have done a head swap, 6-1 headers, radiator,  this week I'm replacing the clutch, letting my friend make the exhaust system, and switching to an electric fan. (all funded by a summers worth of work at a theme park that pays $7.50 an hour with working less than 40 hours a week)  I can definitely tell the difference in the way the car runs and pulls when I drive it. I understand you when you want to go for less weight and hoon around above the speed limit, but my 280 weighed 2700 from the factory, which is'nt heavy at all. Just to try to add a point to my random facts about my car, I would focus on handling and power before you decide to buy an entirely new shell and spend months putting it all together. Whatever you decide, have fun with the Z! good luck bro.

Not to mention you can load 3.5 of your friends in a 2+2 as compared to  a coupe which you'd be lucky to get 2.5 people in...   No really. I was serious when I was saying you shoudl upgrade the brakes before you spend much on the engine.   if it runs don't Fark with it, unless you have reason, such as smoke or roughness.