HybridZ

Another Vela Rossa install

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for that.  A few actually listed their rates, and they match the quote I received from

the first shop, which I thought was high.  The first place did mention that if they got into

it and did not find anything wrong, or in need of extreme adjustment they could lower

the price.

Monday will be spent seeing if I can get a CHP appointment a whole lot quicker than

three weeks.

The clerk was not wearing a name tag and I seriously regret not getting her name.  She

even called me about 30 minutes after I left to let me know I needed a new statement of

construction with the corrected stated value so the next visit to finish the paperwork would

go as smooth as possible. If I wanted to do this again(OK, I do but don't tell my wife),

I know where I would be going to do the paperwork...

• 4 weeks later...

Getting closer.  I completed the CHP VIN verification on Tuesday and the Brake/Light inspection today.

The verification was a bit odd, the office kept insisting I did not qualify for the program and thought he

was wasting time doing the verification.  I just pointed to the DMV paperwork and he backed down.

He did refuse to issue a new VIN number, so I called BAR and the indicated that if the DMV used

my chassis VIN on the certificate of sequence, then I would be reusing the Datsun VIN.  We will

see if this proves to be an issue later.

The brake light inspection started well enough be went down hill quickly.  My headlights we close to

right and since I maintained the adjuster, made perfect quickly.  The brake lights failed to function,

which is odd since I had checked them the night before.  The hazards were also cited as a reason

not to be issued a cert, as well as one leaking crush washer on a rear caliper and front wheel bearings

being a tad too loose, finally they wanted side reflectors or marker lights. 

I suspected a fuse for the lights or the pedal switch, as it seemed unlikely that I would lose all four bulbs

or both wiring pigtails at the same time.  It was a fuse, which I replaced as soon as they pulled the car

our of the bay, but needed to go home for the rest.  The hazards were a big concern as I have already replaced

both flasher relays after installing the LED front turn signals and a trailer tail light convertor.  The directionals

worked perfect, but the hazards did not.  The did work before I took the front end apart, so I did not think

it was in the switch.  When I replaced the brake light fuse I also check the tail light fuse, it was fine so I reinstalled

it.  I mention it as on the drive home I hit the hazards and the damn things just worked.  Maybe a bit of

corrosion on the contacts.  So not two of five fixed and I have not finished the 3 mile drive.  Once home

I tightened up the wheel bearings on the front and swung to the rear to replace the crush washers and

realized the shop still had by lug lock adapter.  Irked, but not discouraged I did the swap with the wheel still

in place.  Not a lot of fun, but not too bad, and I managed to do it with little fluid lose. Four of five down, and

it has only been 30 minutes since I left the shop.  I was wondering how many local parts stores I would have

to hit before finding a set of usable reflectors when I recalled I had a set for a motorcycle project that have

been collecting dust for 10~15 years.  A bit of double sided sticky tape and now we have 5 of 5.  I went back

and they confirmed the car met all requirements and issued the cert.

I'll be scheduling my BAR inspection on Monday and hope there is not a five week wait for an appointment.

The final bit of gravy on the day was getting home to find the MSA hatch carpet I ordered before Christmas 

had arrived. It was a tight fit under the MSA speaker panel, but that should help with the road noise.

I actually knocked the BAR visit out on Wednesday.  I called late on Monday for an appointment

and had a 8:00AM slot on Wednesday.  Other than crud directions and poor weather conspiring

to have me arrive with a minute to spare, the day started well.  Within 30 minutes of the 100 minute

appointment the tech said he was done and it all looked good.  He only had to call his boss to make

sure he had not missed anything (sinking feeling goes here).  After about 5 minutes on the phone

he comes back an says that his boss wants a full test to comply with 1976 specs, after just telling

me they don't run the dyno test for SB100 anymore...

The dyno confirms I have too much mid-range timing (NOX fail) and a nice long list of visual

must fix items IF Sac denies my application.  I made sure they understood I was seeking classification

by body style, and the tech said he thought I was still in the clear, but admitted it was a guess which

way the team in Sac would decide. 

The B&TL inspector was not 100% sure I needed the reflectors, but decided to CHA, which I cannot

blame him, and since he pointed out a couple maintenance items that I did need to handle, I was not

too upset.  The price was steep, and he hit me up for a retest fee, so I regret not checking out a budget

shop in the other direction, but all in all I'd still recommend them if someone else wanted to follow this

path.

Edited by Dan_Austin

• 3 weeks later...

And denied :icon50:.

I am travelling, but just got a call from the BAR rep telling me that the DMV denied the project.

They claimed it was just a body kit on a factory car, which while partially true is still allowed per

their regulations, so now I get to see if this decision can be appealed...

Well that sucks.  :icon_frow

I wonder if I would have gotten the same denial for my roadster if I hadn't also done the engine conversion. :blush: I guess it wouldn't have made much difference, since my donor was a'74 and smog exempt anyway.

If there's no appeal process, I guess there's a couple of options:

1) Return the driveline to stock and register as the original year or...

2) Do an engine swap and try again for the SB100

I found evidence that an appeal is possible, but I still have not received any formal notice from the state/DMV,

so I technically do not have anything to appeal yet.  I plan to point out that it is technically correct that the

VR is a body kit, but also correct that is a complete re-body (similar to a Lamborgini body on a VW chassis),

and not a bolt on ground effects kit.

If that does not carry much weight I may ask (without naming names) ask how virtually identical projects have

been approved in the recent past, and if I might have a copy of any criteria or guidelines that prompted the

decision.  I can deal with specifics but based on the limited guidance from the DMV, I should be in the clear, so

they may well be using a reference that I have not found.

I have to say it feels odd to be hoping to find a rejection notice in the mail each night when I get home, but I cannot

move forward until I get the official notice.

Are you sure BAR is sending something in writing?  Approvals may be different, but I never received anything in written form...just the phone call from the smog station.

Playing devils advocate, I do see what Bar is trying to avoid.  They don't want people skirting smog requirements by simple making body mods and then claiming it's a "specialty built vehicle."  I don't think the VW argument will fly since originals are exempt anyway and after market pans are not "factory cars."  It seems that in order to qualify, you're gonna need  a lot of major parts from different donors, the after market or a complete third party kit with a number of origin.

The BAR inspector told me that they would be sending something in writing, as the rejection

effectively canceled the registration and all fees and taxes would be refunded.  At this point

I would not be surprised if that is not the case, so I guess I will call back and ask for the number

of the DMV decision maker.

That brings up the other odd part, I thought the construction criteria would be evaluated by BAR,

but the BAR rep insisted it was DMV agent's decision.  The published criteria for approval allows

for a 'production chassis' as long as the result does not resemble the donor chassis, with no

'documented' restrictions on the donor chassis.  Resemble is tricky as, well, it still looks like a car.

I agree that you are on to the likely reason, so at the least I hope to get an objective list of

criteria that it needs to meet.  Perhaps I should poll the stickied owners thread to find out how

many of them are in CA and have an approved SB100, it would be interesting to see if there

is a pattern to any approved projects.

I am a bit concerned that even making the DMV aware that others have been permitted that they

will go after them, so I plan to tread lightly....

• 2 weeks later...

After a week of thrice daily calls and voicemail messages I finally reach a human inside

of the DMV in Sacramento.  The agent that reviewed my case is on vacation for a month

and has my paperwork locked up, but her boss was willing to spend time discussing it and

asking about the my copy of the paperwork.  Her first question was 'What make did the officer

document on the VIN verification form', I answered 'Datsun', and she replied, 'Yup, that is

wrong it should be SPCN'.  I told her that the officer had refused to issue a new VIN number,

pointing out that the certificate of sequence had my original VIN on it, and choose to match

the make to the original VIN.

So it looks like the original clerk should not have entered the VIN, or the officer was wrong

to not issue a new number.  I am waiting to hear back from the DMV to see if they can

amend that CoS to not include the original VIN and then schedule another CHP visit with

the DMV contact on speed-dial if the officer still refuses to issue a new VIN...

Of course since the Brake and Lamp inspection refers to a VIN number, I have to repay to

have that done, unless the shop chooses to agree to just update the paperwork if I can get

the CHP to issue a new VIN...

Edited by Dan_Austin

The DMV could not amend my application and suggested I re-apply for a sequence number.

I called the office that inspected my vehicle and confirmed the documentation he would

need to issue the new VIN number was what the DMV agent was suggesting.  So it looks

easy enough.   I should have learned to not be optimistic by now.  I got into the DMV a couple

hours before closing and made it to the counter 20 minutes before closing, hoping it would

be just enough to call Sac.  Nope.  The agent and the supervisor both understood the

reason I was back and were happy to help.  Except their system showed my previous

registration both complete and cancelled, so they could neither apply my paid fees to

the new registration or refund them.  They eventually decided to accept the registration

with fees due and said that Sacramento should be able to fix that mistake, but of course

reached that decision just after 5:00

I'll find out on Monday if my contact in Sacramento can finish the application that the

local office started and track down my missing fees...

WOW...What a can of worms.

But now that you mention it, I do remember the DMV supervisor insisting that the vin should be left blank when she initiated my registration.  I was concerned because I needed a vin number for the title bond.  She told me to use the old vin for the bond, and that all the paperwork I submitted would be filed together thus tying it all together.  No vin number would show up on the application until CHP issued a new one.

The friend who has helped the most on this project just informed me he is moving back to Alabama.

He bought a house with a short closing and is preparing to sell his place here.  We chatted about how 

his projects were going to be a whole lot easier going forward...

• 1 month later...

I received my provisional approval by phone today.  BAR wants the 'Datsun' to be salvaged

before they will affix my tag, then I can complete the process for the new title and registration.

The DMV clerks and my contact in the DMV HQ had originally agreed to this step after BAR

approved my application, but now think BAR has the right idea.

Since Friday is often a quiet day at work I bailed a couple hours early and went to wait in line

at the DMV.  It is not a good sign when the site supervisor not only recognizes you but knows

you by name.  They had to call HQ a couple times to get clarification, but I left with a receipt

for a junked car and yet another temporary operating permit in case I cannot get to BAR and

the DMV next week.

I've held off doing anything major to the car while waiting on BAR's decision, so it looks like

I can soon get back to work.

• 1 month later...

At the risk of jinking it, I think the end is nigh.  I have been calling BAR

every two weeks since I 'junked' the title, each time getting told that

they had not heard from the DMV.  So I would email my contact at

the DMV and be told to make an appointment with BAR and take in the

junk receipt.  Then in the middle my DMV contact went on vacation, so no

status for two~ish weeks.

Yesterday I called the DMV rep first thing in the morning and lucked out,

she was in and answer the call.  These folks deal with enough people, so I

expect to need to review my case each time.  When after just a few words,

she asked if I was the applicant that needed to junk the donor back in April.

I confirmed that.  She wanted to know why I called as she approved me over

four weeks back.  I told her that the BAR supervisor I was working with

said he had not received that info.  Turns out the approval went to his boss

who did not pass it along.  So the DMV emailed and called the BAR supervisor

and told him I was approved and to issue my exemption plate.  She also

told me that if BAR did not call by the end of the day to let her know.  I had

a busy day, and while BAR did not call, I decided just to call them this morning.

They confirmed my approval, and another call secured an appointment on Friday

morning to get the plate affixed.  Then off to the DMV for plates.

This milestone will release funds for the bodywork beyond my skills and a coat of

paint.  I love matte black, but that may not pass committee, on the other hand if

I present a modern neon green or yellow as options, it might be considered the

better choice... 

It only took six months, but I am now registered as a SB100 smog-exempt specially constructed.

The BAR tech was super friendly and a car guy.  His project was a K10 blazer he wanted to

do an LS swap in, and interestingly was picked in part due to being old enough to not need

bi-annual smog testing.

The DMV clerk had the classic deer in the headlights reaction to my paperwork, but the office

supervisor got her on track. The clerk asked by I did not keep my 38 year old classic blue plates.

I was not given then choice, but the randomly assigned modem plates have a pattern that

suggest I indulge in self-pleasure around the clock., so I guess they will work.

Next up will be adjusting the panel alignment, mounting the license plate, adding windshield

washers and trying to find an antenna that both works and can be mounted behind the dash

or under a fender.