HybridZ

280z 77 I have Always wanted one.

Hello! i Have always wanted a Z the first time i saw one! finely it happened. i know may way around a motor and all the good stuff. not as much as all you guys know but maybe someday! if it wont start most of the time i can get it to start and run pretty good. anyways life story later. I'm here Because i could use some advice.....The pros of the car....its a 280z. cons.... there is some rust some work needs to be done stuff like that. and it has been sitting in the same spot for about 3 years with out even being turned over....thank you my brother inlaw for not letting me buy it sooner. Anyways!! Is there any thing i should do be for i jump head first and turn this beautiful car over. going to change the oil. flush the Coolant. change the fuel filter air filter. you get it. i just do not want to hurt this thing. be for he parked it it ran great amazing really. Get up and go no problem and get almost 25MPG. anything will help give me some ideas so i do not have to jump in to a rebuild right away.

thanks! i can not wait to get this thing going. any help would be amazing.

post-40952-0-23492600-1377407314_thumb.jpg

Hey if it's been sitting a long time, try these things:

I'd recommend pulling the plugs and spraying a bunch of wd40 or other penetrating oil into the cylinders and let it sit a while. That way you won't scar anything up if things have gotten dry.  

It would be a great idea to change the oil out BEFORE cranking the engine over. 

Ideally you should get a big wrench and crank it over manually the first couple times after the WD40 and the oil change.  It won't guarantee anything, but should help prevent anything from being stuck and causing any damage.  The WD will smoke a bit if the car starts, but don't worry it'll burn off pretty quickly. 

I'd also drain any old gas and put in a couple gallons of new before trying to start it, but that's not required.  It'll run a bit easier if you do.  Other than that, there's not a lot of preventative measures you can take.   Be sure to check that the tires aren't all dry rotted to hell, they may have good tread, but dryrot could make a good looking tire blow out pretty easy.

I would do exactly what Pharaohbq said. The gas tank could be full of rust so try to drain it first if you can. also, watch out for small (or large) animals hiding in the car hahaha. My 77 280z had quite a few rats hiding under the carpet. check the floorpans so you don't flinstone it when driving down the road. Just all the obvious things to stay safe. Check the battery cables for obvious corrosion. Good luck with the Z!