HybridZ

What else to do to get more HP

Guest Zpeed

Guest Zpeed

right now i have done extractors/headers with 2 1/4 exhaust, 280zx coil with 280zx coil,

240z SU's with k&N filters

280zx 5spd

i can't change my engine (eg RB engine) untill i am 21 as laws and stuff that prohibit me from being able to drive one and also i don't think that i would be able to handle a high powered vehicle as yet, and money at the current moment isn't flowing as well to go all out, but i'll be building a high comp L28 withing the next year just to get more engine experiance etc

the engine now is a L26 with oversized pistons, i can prolly run around a 15.5 in the quater or something around that (rough estimate)

i am thinking of getting a 3.9 diff, as i have a 3.54 in there now,

any other ideas for bolt on mods, i don't want to change heads, blocks or anything like that, as the HIPO L28 will be built within the next year or so

What kind of rpms are you turning 75 mph? Or better yet, how fast are you going at 3000 rpms in 5th gear?

You could add a light flywheel and 3.90's. If you have the good ZX transmission, with 3.90's you will turn about 3000 rpms at 75 mph.

Do you have an aftermarket cam? A mild one from Motorsports would help, but you would likely have to swap out springs and retainers and such.

Also, what head are you running? Add a mild cam with some compression and a light flywheel with 3.90's and your car will likely drop into the 14's. I like the 260 engine.

Whatever you do, plan on using it on the 280 engine so you won't have to re-spend money. In otherwords, get a cam big enough for the 260 engine so it won't be to small in the 280 engine. Get enough clutch for the 260 engine to handle the 280 engine. See what I mean?

Good luck, and let us know.

Guest Zpeed

well at 110kph its on 3000rpm, so at around 75mph it would be about 3200,3400... something around that i spose, at 60mph its at 2600rpm

i might be getting my hands on a HiPo L28 soon, so i'll see what i can do about that

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LAYTON

try the later 82 -83 tranny i did and it dropped my 70mph rmp 600 rpm from 3100 to 2500 was i good deal for the higher speeds although i liked the 1 st and 2 nd better in the early tranny

Do you have your timing curve nailed down? My L28 liked 14 degrees of initial vs. lower stock setting...I didn't lose MPG when I did a custom exhaust and went from 3.36's to 3.9's BTW. Stayed at my steady city mpg of 23, engine was easier to use around town and highway rpm's didn't hurt it at all with up to 30mpg achieve on 140km/h+ average long trips with the L28EFI setup.

Rear gears are great for power gains as long as it doesn't stick your rmp's beyond your tolerances. 3.9's or 4.11's make a very sweet change cheers.gif

Good luck, an Oz bud who was here on an internal work exchange for 2 yrs is flying back to Adelaide tommorrow and we're all missing him as he's a great bloke rockon.gif Hoping to visit sometime ;)

Guest Zpeed

i have it on 10degrees at the moment.. mmm i might try advancing it a bit maybe... i'll try 12 first then go from there

thanks