HybridZ

carbs or FI

Guest ZDreamin

Guest ZDreamin

hello all

im looking for a Z, my question is how good is the early FI on 280z's, and if possible can an early 240 or 260 intake with carbs be put on later 280's and pass emisions, by the way i am in arizona, thank you very much

Guest Anonymous

Performance would suffer by putting stock 240 or 260 carbs on a fuel injection 280 Z but some real big triple aftermarket carbs would do the trick but with a built in difficulty with emmission standards.

You would have to figure out how to tune the carbs to pass emissions, which would not be the best thing for performance. Of course, the stock fuel injection is not the best thing for performance.

Side drafts would make a lot of power, and once you get the hang of them, they are easy to tune.

Fuel injection is probably your easiest route to passing emissions.

People have posted comments stating the emission standards for cars. They typically aren't that restrictive (really only designed to capture the gross polluters). Depending upon your year of car and engine condition you might be able to pass the tail pipe sniffer test. What will kill you is the visual inspection. Even a smog check station flunky will be able to tell you have carbs on what should be a FI car.

BTW, it has been my unfortunate experience that tuning stock 240 carbs to make the engine run the best also gives the lowest emissions. Trying to lean out the mixture reduces some numbers but causes others to go through the roof.