HybridZ

want to sell engine. need feedback/opinions

Guest Hayai-Z

Guest Hayai-Z

i'm selling my L26 engine and want to know whether or not i should sell it as is, or rebuild it first. it seems to be in pretty bad condition. and if i choose to rebuild it, should i keep it stock? or do more people go for the high power engines?

thanx

rob

In my past I always stayed away from an engine that someone else built. If and when I was interested in an engine that someone else had already rebuilt, I definately would not give it a second look if I could not hear the motor run; and even then if I didnt know the person it would be highly suspect.

Another factor is expenses -vs- profit in return. If you do a nice job and rebuild it correctly, very few people will want to give you what it is worth because most that are interested will be looking for a good deal; they'll think you are hurting for cash & expect to only pay pennies on the dollars. Then on the other hand if you build it cheaply you can expect dependability and longevity may be compromised, and you may get a call many months later from an unhappy customer wanting or expecting consideration for their troubles.

If you do rebuild it you will have to either gaurantee it for 'x' amount of days in order to get the money out of it; and now you become a warranty dept. If you dont warranty it then make sure you sell it "AS IS" and get the buyers signature understanding that everything is being sold "AS IS". Then you can avoid any phone calls if/when anything fails.

Its always the owners decision, but IMO you would sell the engine quicker and w/less out of pocket exp's if you just sold it as is with the promise that "It did run when it was pulled" and no other gaurantee".

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Hayai-Z

thanx would somewhere between $500-$800 be a good price range. i don't really know the value or demand of these engines. i believe everything on it is original. i haven't completely checked it out yet.

I just sold off 2 of my engines--a leaky L28 went for $100, and my L28 that was rebuilt (had about 10K miles on it, tall cam, etc) went for $250

Of course these are ebay prices, might find someone willing to pay more, but don't count on it. I also sold a 5 speed for $200, plus $50 just for shipping. The engines were sold to people that I met halfway from their houses, so we worked out delivery.

Guest Hayai-Z

now that you mention it, the trany is gonna go too. so, both for $200-$400? would the original milage (if low) affect the price any?

thanx

rob

I sold a 78 280 motor and pair of front fenders with headlight buckets for $350 last week. Low mileage might be a selling point for someone who needs a running motor, but there isn't a big demand. The junkyard I get Z parts from says he never sells motors. Plenty of trans, but just no demand. They just seem to run and run and run. Carbed motor would be less desireable IMO because of incosistent metering over time adds wear and tear vs. the fuel injection metering. $250-$450 for the pair depending where you are at. Can't seem to give away a 4 speed around here, though.