HybridZ

Early SU's performance potential

9/73-E31-260z

I have an early 74 260z with an L26 and E31 head (so we're talking about 9.66:1 compression) with early round top SU-style Hitachis. I was wondering what kind of potential these carbs would have for me, especially if I want to do a bit of a port/polish job with bigger valves (probably 280z valves) on the head and some exhaust (header, very free-flowing muffler). Is it worth keeping the SU's or should I go for triple Webers or something? I found a receipt from MSA for a carb rebuild kit in the car when I bought it so they've been rebuilt, no clue on if they've been tuned or anything though. Car isn't running yet but it should be real soon, so I don't really have any idea of how they are currently set up, I am just trying to get an idea of what I can do with what I have before I go too far into the build.

• 1 month later...

Gentleman, Somewhat off subject. but while dealing with Courtesy Nissan in Dallas ( http://www.courtesyparts.com ) for some brake parts I learned they found in their warehouse a set of brand new SU carbs (4 screw variety). I did not ask the price, but check them out if you  think you can use them. They are very professional and very helpful.

Norm Fowler,

Panama City