HybridZ

lots of questions from a new Z'er

Guest ZDreamin

Welcome. As with any engine, if a rod bearing is spun, in car replacement is mostly a waste of time and money. Some type of neglect or operating error caused the bearing to spin. Just replacing the spun bearing doesn't solve the problem and it will re-occur. You need to remove and inspect the crankshaft and all the rods to make sure everything is OK.

You should be able to easily swap all the 280 parts to the 240 motor except for the FI stuff. You'll have to machine grooves in the L24 head to fit the FI injectors. Also, check the exhaust port shape. That's a good way to keep your car running while rebuilding the 280 block and head.

Guest ZDreamin

well the l28 in the car is supposedly rebuilt, so could i use the head, intake with FI and exhaust mainfold and oil pan and bolt that up to the the l24 block, i believe that combo would yield something in the mid 9s for compression, just wondering if it could be done?? thats what i was thinking of doing while tearing the l28 apart and seeing if could be fixed then use the head from the l24 and block of the l28 after rebuilding(getting the head machined as needed) thanks all

also can i drive the l28 as is til the engine seizes or will that cause major problems, sorry for all the stupid questions im new at all this

sean

Guest ZDreamin

hey all

today i should be getting a 76 280z, unfortunately the number 1 cylinder rod bearing is spun, my question is can all the rod bearing be replaced with the engine in the car and also how much would a set cost and does anyone got some for cheap, final question how much to go get it done at a mechanic?

also i found a "running" 72 240z engine for sale around me, complete minus intake, oil pan, exhaust manifold, my question can the stuff from the 280 be put on this motor, including the FI and would i be able to use the 280 clutch and tranny and what not.

thanks all, im new to the game and hopefully with this board and me asking a million question i will have a sweet ride

sean

Yea, if you have a spun bearing, you need to take the crank out and have it polished at minimum, probably turned.

I have concerns about buying a running (supposedly) engine that does not have the oil pan on it unless it is in a very clean environment. All that dust and junk in there is not good for bearings, and rings and cylinder walls.

If you buy it, swap the fuel injected head over and then you can use the fuel injection. It won't be as powerful since the engine is smaller, but everything should bolt up as far as the clutch and stuff.

Sounds like you have a fun project on your hands.

Good luck.