HybridZ

i need more speed

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi, I have 79zx, all stock except a magnaflow exaust, it just doesn't have the kind of power im looking for, I've thought about the v8 swap, but living in California, and emissions, I decided to wait, and try to get some power out of my inline 6. So what do you guys suggest, what the best thing for the more power. Thanks Brock

Guest Anonymous

OK, I've been doing some research, and I think I might try a turbo, but I was wondering if it is easier and more cost effeciant to go to a junkyard and find a wrecked 280zxt and take the turbo stuff or just swap the whole engine? I heard the compression ratio is different in a 280zx n/a, so adding a turbo would have more power than a stock 280zxt, is this true? just trying to get this straightened out Thanks

Brock

all turbo engines are made with less compression. It has to do with the engine accepting boost. If you run a non-turbo block with high compression you will not have more power. You will only make it harder for the turbo to pump air into the engine. I know it sounds strange, but its true and that's why Nissan made the turbo block with only 7.5:1 compression. People have actually lowered the compression to 7:1 in order to put on a huge amount of boost.

confused2.gif

I would say swap the entire turbo engine and wiring. Also swap the interrior wiring including the guauges.

Another method is to change your gearing. it makes a huge difference in torque and makes the car more fun to drive. I'm not sure if that's good enough for you, but I would say try swapping your rear end to a 4.11 from a 200SX turbo.

shifty.gif

I know it sounds strange, but its true and that's why Nissan made the turbo block with only 7.5:1 compression. People have actually lowered the compression to 7:1 in order to put on a huge amount of boost.

uhh, 7.5:1 is too low. i push 25psi on the stock L28ET, no need to go lower. most people run at least 8.5:1 for turbo's. nissan only ran that low of compression for reliability reasons. times change and now most manufactures stay above 8:1 for turbo motors. i myself have gone to 8.5:1 on a new engine and yes at 25psi it will make more power than a motor with 7:1.

Guest Anonymous

You gotta join the '79 turbo zx club, man! 2thumbs.gif

just be careful your need for speed doesn't turn into a need for 2nd job, like it did for me. Keep it under 250 hp and you can probably do it just from the stock turbo/injectors/efi, provided that you intercool it and use a manual or electronic boost controller. Even just a bone stock zxt upgrade would be nice. I drove a stock '82zxt, it was significantly faster than my '79 w/ upgraded intake, headers, exhaust, etc. I can't wait to be pushing double the stock turbo horsepower in the near future :cool:

good luck

-980mak rockon.gif