HybridZ

door panels - am I screwed?

AZGhost623

I bought some interior door panels off a guy here earlier this year. I then got a vinyl skin kit from ZCarSource for the 280z door panels, and got them reupholstered professionally just recently. However, the door lock is in the wrong place when I try to go to install them. 
On the car door, the lock is about 5" in from the edge. On the door panel itself, its like 9" in. What's the deal on this? The skin fit just fine which was for a 280Z, but the door lock holes on the panels are clearly in the wrong place. (There is only one hole on the panels as well.) So what kind of door panels did this guy end up selling me? They are in very as new condition now. I paid about $200 for both door panels, plus the skin kit, and labor to put them on, so i'm in pretty deep to have to end up not using it.

Am I screwed, or can I just drill out a new hole in the door panel and all is well? It looks like a fit otherwise... But will everything line up? I dont want to destroy a needless panel if I dont have to and would rather resell it if I had to.

post-35613-0-06978300-1380410898_thumb.jpg

post-35613-0-64154800-1380410903_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZGhost623

Two things come to mind, Possibly an early 280z door panel on a late 280z door.

280z 2+2 door panel or skin.

I just looked at my late model 260, which has early 280z style doors and panels. Im going to go with you have 280z 2+2 door panels.

Edited by dexter72

77-78 door panels are different from earlier 74-76 panels in two key ways. The location of the lock button is 9" from the rear on 77-78 , AND the angle of the back edge is steeper, making them an akward fit to early 280 doors. This accomodates the changes to the door latches that changed on those late doors that use part of the back edge of the door.

We've had this discussion several times already. The key to look for is that long 9" door lock button location to know if you're buying early or late panels. 9=late 5=early.

well that's new to me... I've never been apart of any conversations that I know of about this situation. So I guess what your saying is that the doors won't fit if the shape of the door panel is more angled? I guess I have to go through this whole process again on sourcing panels skins and getting them upholstered...

gah.... that really burns me up... so much time/money wasted... I guess I will have to keep an eye out for door panels. Perhaps sell these off to try and recoup some money I suppose... the problem is I dont know what I got... 2+2? or Later 280Z door panels? gonna be hard to sell if I dont know what exactly they are... I guess the big thing is to just mention its 9" in not 5"...