HybridZ

Electrical Issue - Blowing fuse when connecting battery

Oh, another question...  if I don't put a fusible link back in and use an inline fuse from the solenoid positive side to the white wire in the harness, what amp fuse should I use?

I believe the fusible link is 80amp, but does it really need that much? And I would think that with the relay upgrades to reduce some power needed to the switches, I am taking some load off the need there. (Though my logic may be flawed.) Eventually I'll put a fuse block in instead of the individual inline fuses that are there now.

I think I ran a 40 amp without any problems, just because I couldn't find a higher amp fuse locally at the time. It depends on what you want. That wire, if it is the one I am thinking of, takes quite a bit of amps as it turns the motor over. The lower your fuse the more likely the chance that it may blow given a little strain, as long as you don't try to start the car in gear from a stand still, I think you are pretty safe, just keep spares in case you accidentally do.

A higher rated fuse wouldn't hurt, but finding them when you need it might be a real difficulty. Granted if you are blowing an 80amp fuse you probably are doing something wrong.

Thanks. The inline holder I have says it is rated for 30a, but I'm assuming that is being conservative. I'll keep it that way with some spares in the car until I redo that whole setup with a fuse block. 

I was able to get most all of my electrical issue resolved. The two remaining are dash lights (confirmed it is definitely a ground issue, and on at least one is looks to be the ground tab on the bulb wire) and the door switch on the left side. The replacement harness I put in seems to be slightly different. The switch I have has 2 black wires with male spade plugs, but I can't find the female equivalents. I see some female bullet connectors, but I need to trace it first. I will start with the wire from the right door and see what it (well, actually two wires to one connector over there) goes on the left side. 

I think I'll be starting the car tonight for the first time, so that should tell me right away whether the 30a will handle in a normal situation.