HybridZ

Need Help With Lights

I know there are plenty of posts about tail lights, and running lights, but trust me none fit my problems. So i have a 77 280z to start with. a few weeks ago my dash lights and brake lights stopped working. idk if the brake lights ever worked though. Just recently the running lights stopped working. I have headlights, blinkers, and hazards. Afte checking with a voltometer i can see the switch works properly, and the fuse is good for the brakes as well. When I push the pedal i get like 13V across the fuse, just nothing at the rear tail lights. i checked the bulb housing. I also took apart the passenger side and examined the wires. There was no sign of a short or ground anywhere there. I bought a new brake light switch just to see, that didnt fix it either. its weird. like i said the headlights work, and blinkers/ hazards too. just no brake lights running lights or dash lights. All fuses appear to be fine. any input would be nice thanks guys.

post-41448-0-49058500-1381283198_thumb.jpg

Edited by RB26powered74zcar
Post title to vague as per rules.

• 1 month later...

this happened to me a couple weeks ago in my 73 240... turned out to be a melted fuse box under the dash where the radio is... the dash lights and running lights use the same fuse. i jiggled it a bit and got tyem to turn back on.. new fuse box is on its way from msa

Look under the passengers seat. There's a plug for the rear harness that connects the rear lights. Check those connections in the plug.

Make sure the brake pedal switch gromet is in.

Check all light sockets for voltage and corrosion

This sounds like two different problems at once

Check the combo switch and work your way back with a meter for the parking lights.

• 3 weeks later...

ok so i fixed the problem. turns out it was a melted fuse housing. i just re sodered the old fuse holder to a new wire. installed a new fuse and then it all worked properly. but now the damn turn signals wont work. the hazards work fine so i think it might be a switch. lol did i mention how much i hate electrical. especially on old cars. im going to custom fab a newer fuse holder in there so i dont have the blown fuse problem so much.