HybridZ

removing timing set

Guest bang847

Guest bang847

Hey guys.. it been a long time since you heard about work on my project..

I have been getting a bunch of crap from landlord/roomate so i need to get it out quick!!!

As some already know I took the head off and bought a JY head to replace it...

What happened is I didnt know about wedgeing in a block of wood to hold the tensioner...

So i gotta reset to whole thing... :mad: .

oh well... question is...

Do i need to remove the oil pan to get to the timing set?

I tried to remove the cover but i seems to be held on to something.. I have removed all the bolts that i can see.. everything on the front and also 4 with the oilpan..

NEED HELP!!!

How? LY motor needs to be tilted the other way to fit in the car property. Well, at least that's how it was in 70's race Z's. they had to tilt the motor other way and get an aftermarket bell housing to complete the swap.

Well, no you don't need to take th oil pan off. be acreful not to tear the oil pan gasket.

Guest bang847

the thing is that the whole thing is loose.. I cut all the silicone gasket to loosen it but there is some thing holding on to it...

Am i working a bad angle?? I would take pictures but I no longer have a internet connection.. I only get to read and respond at work...

The whole thing is pretty loose.... I can wobble the whole thing.... it just wont come out..

it is fustrating as hell..

OH YEAH,,,,DOH!!!!!

you have to remove the oil pump/distributor shaft to remove the front cover. there is a hole in the cover that holds the shaft. you have to take down the oil pump on the bottom of the motor and the shaft falls right out.

4 12 mm bolts.

important to remember which bolt went where cause they are different lengths. you then have to reset the timing.

post back when you get to this point.

Originally posted by David Karey:

OH YEAH,,,,DOH!!!!!

you have to remove the oil pump/distributor shaft to remove the front cover. there is a hole in the cover that holds the shaft. you have to take down the oil pump on the bottom of the motor and the shaft falls right out.

4 12 mm bolts.

important to remember which bolt went where cause they are different lengths. you then have to reset the timing.

post back when you get to this point.

Plus there is a bolt behind the oil pump too.