HybridZ

Once Again Turbo Problems

Ron240zxt

Hey All,

Well, let start of by saying My Z is not factory/stock or original state, Here is a break down for you, L28-bored to 87mm Running JE Forged units, XS Rings, 9mm Rods, Factory Head, Factory Camshaft, Spearco Intercooler, Turbonetics Turbo, 3" exhaust, Griffen Raditor, HKS BOV, SCE Headgasket,SDSEFI Computer.

Ok now here is the problem, During normal Driving the vehicle is fine. Until i get into boost I receive a problem of shoot my lid off my overflow bottle from the rush of water from the raditor, Ive already raised the rate of the pressure cap to 19lbs- still does it- Changed the thermostat- no luck. Im giving up on this and about ready to change back to a factory head gasket, thinking The SCE gasket is the problem under boost, as boost is leaking into the waterjackets. I have no moisture in the cylindars, no rust on the plugs and no whater exiting the exhaust pipe....

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Ron

I think you're correct to assume the head gasket. I'm sure a presure test will prove it. Almost like the head gasket is keeping a seal up to a certain degree (holding the water in), but as soon as you are into the high boost range air is able to get into the water system.

Sorry to hear about the problems, just don't let your radiator get busted from it! I've heard of stories where radiators have been damaged from these exact circumstances.

Any chance your head is lifting!? I'm sure you have the head torqued down well, so that would be odd. On those metal head gaskets you REALLy have to have a nice mirror like surface on the contact areas to make a good seal.

Best of luck, keep us updated.

One of this months car rags talked about crossflow vs. top tank rads. They said one of the drawbacks to the top tank is the cap is on the pressure side and exposed to the max pressure of the system while in the crossflow it is on the suction side and sees less than the max pressure developed in the cooling system. With the stock pulley ratios you may have to go crossflow and 25lb cap to precent blowing the cap.

Ron, remember how I said I had no problems with coolant blowing out? Welp, i didnt knock on wood and figured out today why my motor runs so damn hot. Hmm, no coolant? yep.

Looks like I will be investing back into a felpro and not using the no-seal HKS unit.

SUCKS, im pretty pissed.

Evan

BTW, i havent tried a retorque yet, but doubt that will cure it.