HybridZ

Distributor shaft movement

Guest Simon

Guest Simon

Hey,

My Distributor shaft has a fair bit of movement in it. its is making the car run very bad (i think).

Anyone know of a good cheep fix for it

Thanks

Simon

Guest Anonymous

The bushings are shot and I have never found a cheap way to fix one cheap short of a re-built or used replacement. I have tried shim washers but that only offered a short term fix. The wobbling shaft will tear up distribitor caps and rotars.

In what way does it have play? clockwise/counter clockwise? Or is the play from side to side/up and down as a result of worn bushings? Depending on what distributor you have, if it is rotational play, it could be caused by weak or broken mechanical advance springs. In which case you would simply replace them. If the wear is in the bushings, your best and easiest bet would be to replace the distributor ;)

Guest Simon
Originally posted by LEN168:

just had the same thing happen to me. car would run like crap, just went to jy and got a distrib. solved it all for about 10.00

who is JY

Guest Anonymous

LOL Simon .. we really have differences in the English Language "JY" is an automobile JUNKYARD what do you call the junk yards Down Under? We just cannot get used to Auto Recylcling or auto salvage. The yards are now computer inventoried and a far cry from the old style junkyards we use to have.

Guest VertexZ

might be worthwhile changing to an electronic ignition (ie 280zx) if you havent already.

I got my 280zx dizzy rebuilt for around $300 or so, decent used ones are $200 from a wrecker, new ones are about $600. Good luck finding one in a self serve wrecker - they are pretty much the first part taken from an engine!

thats Oz dollars btw