HybridZ

Holley 4bbl conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everyone. I was told by the people at zcar.com that this is the place to ask my question. I have a Bob Sharp Racing manifold and an almost new 390 cfm holley carb. I read some things in past posts about this topic but I am in need of some more info. My car is a 1978 280z so I will need a fuel pressure regulator, correct? What else do I NEED to do? Also, on my manifold what are the 3 holes on the front? The middle one seems to be larger than the outer two. I am pretty sure one is for the pcv valve. What should I wire the electric choke into? Just any insight would be great, no advice would be thought of as common sense........I know lots of things but there is way too much to learn still. And any pics of this setup would be great! Thanks.

Russell rdp5008@hotmail.com

Guest Anonymous

One hole should be for the vaccum line to the vaccum brake canister. The last person I heard express knowledge on this subject of 390 carb conversion was Lone.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a '73 240 rust bucket that has a '74 motor with the Holley carb. and a Cartech intake system. I've been told that this may be a lousy setup, for some unexplained reason. Is anybody familiar with this setup? The Cartech web site has no info about this.

Guest Anonymous

On the 280 cars, you MUST remove the fuel pump and replace it with one from a carburated car. Fuel pressure is too high on a FI car to regulate for the carb. Depending on who you talk to the 4 barrell setup isn't as good as a good set of SU's.I tend to disagree with this unless you have a set from Z Therapy that have been rebuilt (they are actually better than they were from the factory)I have had the Bob Sharp steup and 390 CFM carb with .488 lift cam from Comp Cams along with a header and 3.90 gears and the car was a blast to drive. If you are looking for serious performance from carbs look for a triple webber or mikuni setup.

The two outer ones circulate coolant from the block and from the thermastat housing. The other is the vacuum line. I have seen some of those lines blocked off on some installations. I have mine blocked off also. You will need to replace the fuel pump on a fuel injected car with one for a carbuerated car. You can buy one at any autoparts store. You don't need a pressure regulator at this point.