HybridZ

Ebay aluminum radiator testing

So i have a 396 sbc that makes around 550hp N/A so i believe i have a good candidate for radiator testing as *most* of you guys here don't have real high horse power v8's the car is nitrous ready but i won't be testing the bottle on it for the time being.

I purchased a budget ebay 3 row aluminum radiator (item #370627106773) and will be testing it out over the next couple weeks before it gets real cold, i'll tell you guys how well it works and how i feel about it, for $150 i think the small investment is worth it.

In the event that it fails catastrophically i'll get another slightly better one from ebay until i find one i'm comfortable with, hopefully it can be added to a sticky to help guys figure out where to get a good cheap radiator as JTR nolonger stocks one.

Came in the other day,

Side by side:

ZJf2IJ4l.jpg

These aren't perfect fits, you need to trim them down

x64cUXvl.jpg

Seems like an okay feature for the rare chance someone has completely cut up the front end of their car / tube chassis

uC64SWol.jpg

easy enough to lay the old one on top and trace out the new pattern

PM2LAQ2l.jpg

I still did not install this, i am waiting for my racing transmission and then i will put it in the car along with the motor. I don't want to damage this.

Edited by Robftw

Quick question. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 260. The radiator that's in it is not stock and the front rails have been notched to accommodate it. I'm going to repair the notches and was wondering if this radiator, even though it's labeled for a 280, would work? I have found that there are a lot of parts that are interchangeable between models and this might be one of them.

Second question, am I missing the smaller coolant lines or is there a mod that's been done?

Came in the other day,

Side by side:

ZJf2IJ4l.jpg

These aren't perfect fits, you need to trim them down

x64cUXvl.jpg

Seems like an okay feature for the rare chance someone has completely cut up the front end of their car / tube chassis

uC64SWol.jpg

easy enough to lay the old one on top and trace out the new pattern

PM2LAQ2l.jpg

I still did not install this, i am waiting for my racing transmission and then i will put it in the car along with the motor. I don't want to damage this.

Ebay has plenty of Z radiators for 150$+or- that have the mounting holes from the get go, no need to cut >>>>> post-36683-0-66327900-1384620323_thumb.jpg post-36683-0-18326800-1384620409_thumb.jpg  :icon56:

Edited by PLATA

Quick question. I'm in the process of rebuilding a 260. The radiator that's in it is not stock and the front rails have been notched to accommodate it. I'm going to repair the notches and was wondering if this radiator, even though it's labeled for a 280, would work? I have found that there are a lot of parts that are interchangeable between models and this might be one of them.

Second question, am I missing the smaller coolant lines or is there a mod that's been done?

the smaller lines are for the automatic transmission. It's a built in cooler. I have an external one so I did not purchase a radiator with them.

as for the frame yes this rad should fit. The actual body has about 3/4 space between the frame rails. The bracket is the only thing that needs to be trimmed