HybridZ

polishing the valve cover and whatever

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK..I've been looking around the site..and I know it can be done. eek2.gif .Does anybody have the secret on polishing the timing, and valve cover. What type of polish ect ect ect. and once I spent the night doing that. bonk.gif .what can I spray or have done to keep it that way...and also looking from a good chrome place on the net, To send small parts too....Thanks puke.gifugg.gif

Guest LIghtningZ

The Eastwood company has some great polishes and BIG buffing wheels, to heck with the hand polishing bonk.gif:mad: , then finish it up with a clear enamel that will bake itself on with the engine heat!! 2thumbs.gifcheers.gif

whatever technique you use, it takes forever, i just got done polishing mine, but i guess if its an NA valve cover it will easier since its already alum color, mine was turbo cover, its factory painted black and i had to blast it twice, then wheel the crap out of it with finer and finer wheels and it still looks just ok to me :confused:

Guest Frank280z

Wet sand the valve cover starting with 600 grit. Work your way up to 2000. And then start to cut it down with a dremel or die grinder. With a polishing wheel or cone for tight spaces. Use brown roushe for the first and second application. Then the white roushe will bring out the luster you desire. These can be bought at Eastwood or a local metal shop. I have one finished with high temp black between the lines on top. Came out very nice. If you want it 75+shipping+exchange.

Guest Anonymous

Forget eBay; in typical fashion the buyers have more bux than brains; bid it up past new retail.

eBay sellers just love those imbeciles...

MSA Spring 2002 catalog has new chromed valve covers at 120.00 plus 7.50 shipping. Matching cap is 28.00 plus 5.98 shipping.

Also, Sears makes a nice polishing wheel that looks like a stack of red scotch-brite pads and worx great on aluminum. Try those.

Guest Anonymous

I found any buffing compound designated for "stainless steel" works good. I use two 8 inch wheels on and old 3450 RPM 1 horse pump motor with a spindle adapter for the buffing wheels.The buffing wheels also mount to an 8 inch Wild Cat grinder. I get my buffing compound and supplies from an outfit that polishes the stainless steel on luxery motor homes.