HybridZ

Emissions/Smog

Guest BlackPearl280z

Guest BlackPearl280z

Hey guys i failed emissions! I have a 78 280z with EFI. I was only high for hydro carbons. Our limit in Wisconsin is 3.0 grams per mile and i was at a 6.4. Then i thought that it must be one of my cylinders not firing (i dont know a whole lot about engines) so i bought new plugs wires, distributor and rotor figuring that even if that didn't fix the problem, it couldn't hurt. I haven't installed the distributor and rotor yet becuase the distributor took longer to ship. I would love any suggestions!

~Eric

Guest BlackPearl280z

BTW...I don't know if this is related at all but i do have a "grinding" type noise up near the fan. I didn't know if it was the pulleys for and around the fan or if it was a scrtching cylinder?????? However, once the grinding started, my A/C (well actually my defrost too) stopped working. Maybe this is totaly different but any ways to fix this would be much appriciated. Also i have a lifter tick (if that has anything to do with anything????)

thanks

~eric

General tune up before emissions testing is always a good idea. Also check the air filters and change the oil/PCV valve. I would also replace the O2 sensor since they are 20,000 mile replacement items anyway. I have also heard running a tank of ethanol gas though will help clean out the injectors.

Whatever you do, save the receipts for what you have just done. If you fail again, you may have spent enough to qualify for a waver.