HybridZ

Electrical issues with relays while ignition in LOCK

Alright.. my problem first started off with my turn signal switch fuse continually blowing itself up

I took out the Hazard signals switch and cleaned up the contacts on both sides of the teeter totter... thingy

It helped out for a little bit, each fuse would last about 15 minutes longer, and then continue to burst.

I'm figuring that there's a short to power somewhere, and wanted a new type of switch that I can disconnect easily. (no more of that 'yes your wires are soldered into the back of this thing' crap)

The new switch has 2 male terminals for power, so I used a butte connector and put in two wires to either side.

But now, if my Hazard switch is turned to Turn signal switch ON position, all of the relays in my car pulse IF my ignition is set to the LOCK position.

If I turn the ignition switch to ON, everything is fine and dandy, and my turn signals work.

I'm trying to trace the wiring diagram to find out any possible places that the wires could be shorting together somewhere.

So far this is driving me nuts, I've repaired 5 wires so far that were already burnt/corroded/exposed to air.

TL;DR: Car runs and starts up fine, but when Ignition Switch is in LOCK position, ALL RELAYS PULSE ON AND OFF.

Of course I'm still going to run through the wires and see if there's anymore wires I should repair, but a little insight would help me a long way.

Okay, I located the flashers from the FSM, at least the hazard flasher.. and of course when I hook up the switch it is continually pulsing, only the hazard flasher.

I think I found the turn signal flasher, it was sitting right underneath the steering column, just hanging out there.. it seems like the wires going to the turn signal flasher is getting nothing. I first thought the turn signal flasher was dead, so I swapped places with the hazard flasher.
Sure enough, it was doing the same thing.

So, short to power on hazard flasher side? or short to ground from turn signal side? or both?... I really need to just take a step away from this electrical for a good 15 minutes..

EDIT: I did some electrical testing, the hazard flasher connector is getting power at all times, both positions of the switch.. I'm starting to think I wired it up wrong.. which confuses me more because when I wired it differently it would activate only 1 signal when using the switch.. each position would activate a signal.

Edited by Trentomobol

The turn signal flasher unit does not receive power when the ignition is in the off position, but the hazard flasher unit does.

Are you sure you bought the correct type of switch for the hazard warning lights? It's a pretty complicated switch as the turn signal circuit also runs through it.

When you say all your relays are pulsing, I take it you mean switching on and off? Are you sure it's all of them., ie. do the wipers move and does the horn beep as well? Do the hazard warning lights turn on and off like they are meant to? Until you narrow down exactly what is switching on and off I think it's going to be difficult to figure out from a circuit diagram where the problem is.

Also you haven't mentioned yet what car you have.

Edited by morbias

Whoopsy, I'm sorry about that. It's a 78 280z

My fuel pump relay, both relays underneath the passenger seat, seat belt warning, ignition, and horn relay all turn on and off at the speed of the hazard flasher unit.

I've removed my horns, and my wipers don't turn on and off like the rest of them do.

After the turn signal switch fuse has enough and blows, only the hazard flasher unit continues to turn on and off, but no lights are activated (no dash, exterior).

When the pulsing happens, no lights are activated at all, you can just hear all of those aforementioned relays click on and off.

Thanks for the input!

Alright.. my problem first started off with my turn signal switch fuse continually blowing itself up

You might consider cutting your losses (time) and re-installing the old Hazard switch.  Looks like you've created a new problem with the Hazard switch replacement.

Have you checked the turn signal / combination switch on the steering column for shorts to ground yet?

if my Hazard switch is turned to Turn signal switch ON position, all of the relays in my car pulse

if I turn the switch to the Hazards, everything goes back to normal and Hazards flash

I'm still confused, so when the hazard switch is OFF the relays turn on and off? If so then yes, there is a short circuit on the turn signal circuit somewhere and I agree with NewZed that replacing the hazard switch may have created a new problem whereby the turn signal flasher is now activated with the ignition off and the turn signal switch in the central position (ie. the new hazard switch is wired wrong and you also have a separate short on the turn signal circuit)

Edited by morbias

• 1 month later...

Welp, I've made some progress, I got my hands on a better Hazard switch. I opened it up and removed all the corrosion with baking soda + warm water, scrubbed it with an old toothbrush. Hazards work and no more relays turning on and off! Woo! 
yeah, you guys were right, I goofed and wired up the new switch wrong. Guess my electrical theory needs some work.

But now, it immediately blows the turn signal fuse the moment ignition is turned to ON position. Seemed like a short so I went around and cleaned up whatever I could with the grounds. I took out the bulbs just to create an open to see if it would still blow the fuse.

Still blew the fuse, I went back and disconnected the hazard switch and it STILL blows the fuse with ignition at ON position.