HybridZ

Some turbo swap Q's

Guest GreenZ

Guest GreenZ

I'm swapping in a 83 turbo engine and trans into a 77 280Z. I have the complete harness and fuel injection system. Still have some questions. What fuel pump should I use? Will my driveshaft work with turbo tranny? Is the turbo tranny the best choice, as I've heard the 81-81 have better ratios? What about rear end gear ratio. Anyone have a list of what wires to hook up for ecu? (I will be swapping engine harness). Sorry for all the questions. I'm getting close to the swap, a little eager and scared. Thanks for any help you guys can give me here.

JB

1977 British Racing Green 280Z

1977 Yellow 280ZT project

Hi there, and welcome to the group. Sorry I don't have a lot of time to respond right now, so if you can get back with specific questions later then I'll get back to them.

Your stock fuel pump will do for the stock engine, hold onto the other fuel pump just incase yours dies.

Your drive shaft will not work with the turbo Borg Warner T5 tranny. You will need the drive shaft out of the 280zx Turbo manual car. It then needs to be shortened a little bit (like 3 inches) and the tranny requires a little bit of mods to fit in the car, like being set back on the mounts about 1 inch. There is a web site out there that covers it all. I think I have a link to it off of my web page, it's Brian Littles Z Barn. I'm not sure on ratios, either 5 speed trannies will be fine though, others should fill in on that.

For the wires, start with a 280zx haynes manual to get a good idea about how the system is laid out. I and others on the list can help with specifics. You can probably search for the topic and you'll find where I've writen a bit on the wiring to others.

Keep an eye out for a good sized intercooler, it will turn up the grin factor.

Try as hard as you can to let it remain "as the factory built it". that is, keep the harness intact, use the turbo relays, fuel pump, ECU, etc.

Don't worry about the differential right now. You've got an R200 and the ratio is not likely too high for a M/T L28ET. Sort that out later. Figure you're going to have to have a driveshaft fabricated, but that's one of the last elements to deal with; and you might come up with some unlikely bolt-in at the last minute.

I wouldn't go to extremes over the turbo M/T, if it becomes easier to fit the conventional Nissan M/T then just do it (Nike 1987). If the ratios aren't optimal then fix it later; it's a simple change-out, get it roadworthy first. DAW

DAW's and Tony's advice is very sound. Get the engine in and running and get the bugs worked out before messing with what trans or diff to use. The stock nissan trans is a much better shifting trans than the BW anyway, and it strong enough for what you are doing now.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I would agree with just about everyone's reply, but I dont like the turbo electronics. I would keep the N/A ECU swaping out the AFM internals for the turbo housing (larger). Just make sure you keep the timing at a safe area and I wouldn't use a stock fuel pump. Go with a MSD inline, its easy to install and is good for 500hp. Maybe add a Vortec FMU for fuel enrichment and your safe I think. The Borg Warner tranny tends to throw 3rd pretty easy I dont like it either Good Luck.

the turbo motor is pretty bad ass from what im experiencing. im on my second na280zx trans cuz of my own dumb self. its very tough trans, the t5 1st gear i heard is too low, and its harder to install, while the zx trans bolts right in, or if your car is a five speed already that trans is gravy as well. just get it to run, and make it fly later, swap is easy, its just like dropping in a replacement motor with alot of wiring, but you really only need to wire like four things and that sucker will start for you, and man its fun. oh man.

Guest GreenZ

Thanks. I was wondering, what modifications do I need to do to install the T5 tranny? Move the shifter hole, different crossmember? Maybe just get an 81-83 MT out of an N/A? I really want to get the tranny part right the first time. BTW, I just bought an 83 ZXT with the manual transmission so I have a car to compare how it should be wired up. And I'll see if the T5 grows on me.