HybridZ

82zxt speedo sensor is kicking my butt

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

.....whats up w/this?

..i replaced my 82's speedo w/a 130 from a '79, wanted to keep the cruise so i put the speed sensor in the speedo (well the cruise didnt work) and the car started running like hell (once it starts building boost)...i figured i must have pulled a vac line loose ...or a wire...been pulling what hair i have left...out....

....well....i unhook the speedo cable the other night ....the thing runs like a scalded dog!!!....great!...so i put the 80mph back in ...runs like hell (but the cruise works)..

....apparently this is only in there to screw-up the way the car runs (and to make my life hell)....anybody know anything 'bout this thing?

.... thanks,

....s

ok here we go. The car running bad has nothing to do with the speed sensor or the speedo. That is a totally all together different problem with your car.

The speed sensor, thare is the problem with your cruise control. You dod not configure the sensor correctly.

the 85 mph and the 120mph speedo has a different sensor. Both sensors are the same kind of part, so if you find the two wires on both sensors you have it almost licked.

The thing to do is to look at the 85mph speedo and where the wires from the sensor hooks up to the back plain of the cluster. You dont need to worry about the other wires as they are for the service light on the left side of the cluster, and after 90K you disconnect the green barrel connector on the passenger side of the dash and it is done. So dont worry about those wires. You want the wires that are connected to the reed relay (sensor) and those arwe the ones you hook up to your stock gauge cluster. Find out where the connect from the stock unit and simply hook up the new speedo sensor in the same place and it should be just fine. I did my car a number of years ago and have had zero problems with the setup.

Now I am looking into getting a shop in my area to take the stock 85mph unit and make it a 160mph speedo. they will need to make a new overlay, and recalibrate the unit and it is done. I looked at the MSA unit and I did not like the way they did the numbers, so now I am going to do it my way. ;)

Could someone describe how this mystery sensor looks like and where it's located? I replaced my 83 electrical speedo to an analog unit from a 79 like a year ago...till this day I still can't get my cruise control to engage and the talking lady died. I looked for a speed sensor on the 79 but couldn't find it because I had no clue what I was looking for. I'm pretty sure that the 79 parts car had cruise control so the gauge unit should have had it...but again, I don't know what I'm looking for. Help! cry2.gif

The part really is not a sensor at all but more accuretly a reed relay. The part is cased in a plastic part that is mounted in the gear area of the speedo. You will know it by the two wires that come from it. The relay works with the cruise control and with the voice warning. If you take the speedo and put it near your ear(if your heraing is good) and spin the speedo where the cable connects so that the speedo will register 5 mph when you spin it, you will hear the relay click. I dont have any pictures, but maybe some are in order since this topic has come up a number of times.

The relay is activated by a small magnet in the assembly. hope that helps. smile.gif

Guest De Schmaydee

really appreciate the input.....i put the 85mph speedo back in and my cruise works now.....what is confusing me is...if i unhook the speedo cable the car runs great...

when i first got the car the speedo was messed up...so i got another cluster and put it in.....everything worked fine....

..then i got a '79 speedo and took the sensor from the original speedo and put it on the '79 (the 79 didnt have the switch on it)....put the 79 speedo in the original cluster and put it back into the car... thats when my problems started...

...i traced down the 2 wires through the harness to the plug (that plugs in above the fusebox) and i get the closure on the 2 wires that i'm supposed to....

....the green wire from the speedo w/the barrel connector i took to the green wire (thats in the same bundle as a plug that goes on the cluster) and the red wire w/the barrel connector went to a connector on the cluster.....the other 2 wires (in the molded plug) plugged to the cluster...it is keyed...and can only go on one way...

...its kinda hard to get these hooked up another way...the barrel connectors wont "reach" the wrong places to hook them up...but if its possible at all to get it wrong i guess i could do it..

..when i disconnected the speedo cable and the car ran fine...i pulled the '79 speedo (the cluster)and replaced it w/the cluster that has the 85mph speed (that i had in there previously)

the the cruise started working again..but it runs badly.....(but i havent disconnected the cable w/this cluster in it) and tested it..

....can the cruise work and still be hooked up wrong?....got any idea why when i unhook the speedo cable the car runs fine?.......thanks alot,

...s

Guest De Schmaydee

ok....its fixed...(maybe)...i adjusted my aac valve....and i'm back and running good...(w/my cruise)...perhaps it was something in the other cluster..or i miswired wired the speedo ...who knows...but i think i'm just gonna leave the 85 in there.....i think recalibrating it would be the way to go.....s