HybridZ

Lash pad/retainer relationships

ozconnection

Hi there,

I'm wanting to try an aftermarket cam in my L28 and need "200" lash pads throughout.

Where the stock pad sits nicely within a stock retainer, aided by the recess under the lash pad which lets the pads be better supported by the retainer's shoulders, rocking motion of the lash pad is minimal. Without measuring it, the contact surface (between the ears) of the lash pad and the top edge of the retainers (shoulder) is 20 thou or so, there shouldn't be any possible contact between the rocker arm and the retainer. 

With the 200 lash pad, there is considerable rock when sitting it in the stock retainer, due to a flat bottom on the thicker lash pad and relatively little support by the shoulders on the retainer. 

I have aftermarket steel retainers. They do provide support for the thicker 200 lash pads, but are too tall in that the top edge of the retainer its about 20 thou too high and above the top, contact surface of the lash pad. The other issue, is that the installed height of the retainer/valve springs is higher than with the stock retainer, extra valve spring shims will be needed to restore correct seat pressure on the springs.

I know, welcome to world of hybridz, aftermarket cams and valvetrain mods....no big deal and I'm happy to proceed and perform whatever work is necessary to make this project come together.

Howevever,

1) the head is on the engine

2)do retainers with different 'shoulder' heights exist that I can simply purchase and use without modifying those I already have and 

3)can I use the '200' lash pads with the stock retainers? Will the pads be too big and render the rocker gear unreliable ( max rpm's will be 7000 rpm)

Thanks for your input. :-)

Edited by ozconnection

• 3 weeks later...

The Stock retainers don't handle lash pads taller than about 180 reliably. Some people get away with it, but most don't.

Isky and Nissan both offered three different heights of retainers here in the US, one for up to 170 thou lash pads, one for 170-250, and one for 250+.

Use the tall-shoulder retainers, but buzz them down the 20 thou to make them fit properly.

Edited by Xnke