HybridZ

240sx alternator into 76 280z...trouble finding pulley to swap.

My stock 280z alternator gave out soon since I heard all the noise and wouldn't charge if RPM below 1500. Found a thread about 1995 240sx alternator would fit in the z with some wiring modification.  However, I couldn't find where I can find the pulley to swap it. Can someone tell me where I can find a pulley shop or auto shop that have pulley. I live in SoCal Los Angeles area but I always  travel all the time from Santa Monica to Fontana. Thanks guy.

I don't think anyone will take the pulley out of the alternator and sell that alone. And the 280zx alternator is pretty hard to find around my area. Anybody knows any alternative way to make the pulley that work for 240sx alternator? 

morbias could be right.  I misread Post #1 and thought you had a ZX alternator already.  I think, though, that both Z and ZX Nissan factory-issue alternators use a D-shaped shaft and hole to mount the pulley and the later alternators use round.  Aftermarket "rebuilt" alternators tend to use full-round shafts.  Regardless, you have a broken alternator with a pulley in your car.  Take it off and see if it will swap.

I converted a Maxima alternator and had to shim the pulley out and do some grinding on the case.  I used the pulley from a rebuilt parts store Bosch alternator.  Pretty easy, but takes more than just swapping the pulleys.  If you have some time and tools, it can be figured out.

Edited by NewZed