HybridZ

Turbo L-motor in my 96 240sx

heinekenns

OK, don't laugh at my idea just yet ... there is poor support for my S14 compared to the z cars (and only 2 forums on the internet dedicated to the US S14). I want to hear what you guys have to say since you have tons more experience than my fellow 240sx forum members. If some of you don't know, my 96 240 is graced with an inline 2.4 liter NA 16 valve 155hp, 159ft/lb KA24DE engine - also found in nissan trucks, altimas, forklifts etc. The engine is a stout little piece, but the connecting rods, crank, and pistons are its weak point. Moderately boosted engines have achieved 300hp. Forged pistons and rods have yielded 380hp, but their durability at these higher hp is marginal. Another option that is popular is swapping the J-spec SR20DET which comes factory turboed. From its small displacement, though, it lacks torque. And pushing it to 500hp is expensive (and your still left with NO torque). I've heard of people swapping RB26DETT and RB25DET's into their 240's before, but these are entirely too expensive here in the US and all aftermarket parts must be shipped from japan (hence, more money). This brings me to the idea of swapping in a turbo ZX into my 240. Since the L series was the predacessor (sp??) of the RB inline 6', and the RB has been placed in a 240, why couldn't a 2.8 turbo L be placed in the 240. Aftermarket support for the L motor is huge compared to the KA. This post is already too long, so I'll end here with the question, " what do you guys think about this engine swap idea - your thoughts, concerns, etc." Thank you so much. I'll post a few more questions so I don't have to turn this post into a novel

Welcome. I may not be telling you what you want to hear, but I *THINK* its wise. (remeber, opinions are like...)

Its good to hear that you have checked into a turbo first off. Sounds like you want 500hp. I hate to tell you this, but pushing a SR20DET to 500hp won't cost much more/less than doing the same thing with an L28. While the L series was a great design, it does have a few inherent faults to it. First and foremost, it does not have a cross flow head. I've heard numbers for the loss of efficiency from this being around 14-18%. Yes, 14-18% more power available just by using a crossflow head.

If it were me, and its not. I would go SR20DET. I don't know a ton about those engines... What I do know. They are FREAKING lightweight. They have a large aftermarket support. They can support 500hp. They are short, and with a car that was origionally designed for a 4 banger, its likely to keep the center of gravity more centralized that if you went with a 6.

As far as the lack of torque available from a turbocharged 4 cylinder, I have to disagree. Turbo's make torque. You aren't going to get a V8 type torque curve with anything with small displacement. (ie: 300ft-lbs from 1500-4000rpm, that type of thing) Consider the stock L28 turbo, and NA.

Naturally Aspirated:

Peak HP: 135bhp@5,200rpm

Peak Torque: 144ft-lbs@4,400rpm

Turbo:

Peak HP: 180bhp@5,600rpm

Peak Torque: 200ft-lbs@2,800rpm

What this says to me is that HELL YES turbo's make torque. AND they can do so at low RPM. 2,800 is a low torque peak!!!!

Granted you sacrifice top end performance with a turbo like this, but a comprimise can be reached that will give you the best of both worlds.

Well, there is my crack at a novel. smile.gif

------------------

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

a ifinity q45 motor?i think you would have a hard time putting l28 in to engine bay-too long.the car should have been built with a vg30.that would fit easy.as far as swapping goes you are only limited by engine bay space and your budget.i you get a nice swap done post some pictures.

the KA can make some serious HP, rebello is getting 325-350 normally aspirated HP. must use carillos and they arent cheap.

give dave a call and see if he can spec out a motor $ to compare to a sr20...

i would think 350hp would come easy with a turbo and well designed cam. and aftermarket FI...

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.outlaw-brakes

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Heh, when I told a friend at work I was dropping a SBC into a Z his first words were - "why not do that with a more modern car, like a 240SX?" hrm, have yo uconsidered that?

No matter what you do - what are the emissions laws in your area? I see VA in your info and in my area that means visual and road dyno for anything as new as your car. 25years or older is exempt from inspection...

• 1 year later...
Guest Ian turbo240

I think I have some dissappointing news for you. You will need to check your local smog laws, but I think that changing to an older engine will be illegal. Since your car is a 1996, it is OBDII and is governed by all of the rules of OBDII emission systems. I think that your only solution is to install an engine that is also OBDII. This would be anything 1996 or newer. Some auto manufacturers started using OBDII sooner; I have a customer with a '94 T-bird that is OBDII. So, you may want to consider that Vortech SBC or LT1/LS1 engine. As far as the SR20 swap, I've heard that it's not a big deal since that is a factory engine for that car overseas. However, you would most likely need an OBDII version, which probably wouldn't be allowed by the smog cops anyway. Isn't there a smog-legal turbo kit for the KA24DE from Stillen? I would check out Rebello like one of the other posts suggested. Good luck.

Ian

I would go the Sr20det on it. There was a guy down here running one in his 240SUX and it was running high 12's at 119 with a stock engine with the t28 in it with a t3 compressor wheel. On street tires. :eek: He has a front mount intercooler though.

You can also work on the 2.4. Just make sure you have good engine management and fuel to go with the boost. You need to talk to some one with experience. JWT can handle the ECU, and upgrade you to the cobra MAF, rev hard the manifold, anyone a turbo. All you need then is injectors, intercooler and exhaust. Tell Clark at JWT what you got and he can set you up.

I love my L series with a turbo, but go the more modern route. They will make more power easier, and everything in your car will work.