HybridZ

turbo on a n/a motor?

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

I would be afraid to push the boosted n/a engine past stock boost. View this turbo setup as only a temporary solution until you can afford a 280zxt engine. Just my opinion. Most of the time you can find L28Turbos with everything included (manifolds, turbo, injectors...everything) for the same cost of buying individual components to turbo your n/a engine. It might even be cheaper.

Here's my .02/

If Nissan thought that engine was good enough, they would have used it. Granted about the only thing they changed was the pistons and the oil pump, the fact remains they felt the need to do so.

Also, the NA pistons have the rings on a different location.

Be careful with the boost and you will likely be ok.

I'm running about 13 pounds of boost on a high mileage stock L24 bottom end with a P90 head. t3/t04b turbo, medium sized front mount intercooler, 280zxt electronics, 370cc/min injectors, 2 1/2" exhaust. I'm using the turbo oil pump, oil cooler, and turbo head bolts.

My compression ratio is pretty low 7.56:1 though, and that helps a lot.

I've had pleanty of fun with my setup, although I do plan to go with a L28ET bottom end at some point. If you haven't turboed before using a crappy block to learn on may be a good idea. That way you learn what you should do when you go lean, or ping. The learning part is what takes life away from your bottom end.

I'm not sure, but I think my small amount of writing is about the closest right now, I've got some pictures I've posted to others on the list. Maybe I'll put it all into one page some day, or if I go crazy, a book.

http://www.zhome.com/~aktar/zcar/73/turbofi/

Let us know if you have any questions, I'd even consider helping out of the phone if you needed it.

The most difficult is figuring out between a yellow wire that's used for temp and power to the ECU, and another yellow wire with white stripe is either A/C stuff or coil trigger wire. These wires that are in the same damn plug can confuse you if you don't keep track of things. Also there is no wire to ground the coil igniter (mounted on the coil's base), it gets ground by being screwed into the chassis, this threw me for a loop.

Everything else is pretty strait forward, just plug it in the same way it was plugged into on the ZXT. I didn't use the relay that is on the passenger side, and didn't use the circuit that turns on the fuel pump, so that further simplified wiring. Just wireing the fuel pump to come on with the ignition.