HybridZ

Basic turbo question, who wants to field this one?

I am not so wise on my t3 turbos like I used to be, so I have a dumb question I just want to get some information on.  There is a turbo that a guy on a car forum I go on is selling that I think would be great for the car I'm picking up.  It's a Garrett t3/t04 and should be more efficient and reliable than the Chinese turbo on the car now.  The car currently is setup for a v-band exhaust, but this turbo obviously has a Ford 5 bolt pattern.  

sugasaba.jpg

7enypuhu.jpg

bemurama.jpg

4abebu3e.jpg

You can see on the exit side it has the hole, which I presume would be for an internal wastegate, but the turbo has no wastegate on it.  I'm checking out the ATP Turbo (or similar) adapters that bolt to a Ford 5 bolt pattern, have a wastegate flapper in it to convert a turbo to internal wastegate, and then exit in a v-band.  Will that hole being there on the exit side cause any sort of problem? 

https://www.atpturbo.com/root/releases/release103105.htm

That's the adapter I'm talking about.  

WhT constitutes "more efficient"?

I'll go with the reliability fear, my luck with things Chinese is not that great.

But I don't know about "more efficient" until I see some compressor maps. Usually the Chinese turbos are rip offs of the most recent technology wheels, and are considerably better aerodynamic performers than most OEM takeoff units. For as long as they last...

I guess I would view more efficient as there are probably tighter tolerances in a Garrett, Precision, Turbonetics, etc than there would be a Chinese turbo, as well as higher quality parts inside.

With that aside, will that hole in the flange where a w/g flapper would go cause any problems when using an adapter to turn it into a v-band exit with the w/g flapper built into it?

The hole that you're seeing is the wastegate port in the turbine housing that the flapper covers. The flapper opens and closes over that hole to bypass the turbine to control boost. That's how an internal wastegate works. That turbo is missing the flapper assembly, which the ATP ultimate internal wastegate would replace anyway, and the flapper in it would cover the same hole. I'm not sure what your concern is? You have to have that hole for the wastegate to work.

Nigel