HybridZ

1972 240z Procharged LS6, soon to be turbo!

I have run a built R200 (extra clutches) from old group buy with CV axles and Modern Motorsports billet stub axles for close to 8 yrs now. I have broken/snapped 2 or 3 CV axles but nothing else, knock on wood!  I am guessing around 600 rwhp max. My Turd ran low 6's in the 1/8th and 9.70's in the 1/4 mile plus a whole lot of street action too ;)

Auto though, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My buddy started building the headers and fitting the turbo in my car.

First, had to move the radiator a bit. Mostly angled it, with a small shift forward as well.

88prLB9.jpg

R49Z4F3.jpgF21ElvK.jpg

Then he started on the manifolds and turbo placement.

a8BfodY.jpgXXwNHLt.jpg

EyLCYQ4.jpg41IHKmo.jpg

q8Nx2hv.jpgpqRd5sH.jpg

r8FDpiQ.jpg6dgWO98.jpg

He should have the hot side and downpipe done tomorrow, and hopefully have the intercooler build and mounted as well soon. He is aiming to finish by wed, which is when I get into town to work on it. (I live in Chicago, car stays in Cali)

Some more updates. Turbo stuff will be done tomorrow night, then I have to pull everything off and wrap it, install the turbo cam, and put everything together again...

emJ6Iz0.jpgK3Dyrk2.jpg

dQLXAcy.jpgkcAio7B.jpgOE29hVT.jpgpYhzEw5.jpgnxrBBSP.jpg

The dowpipe is split, there is a 4" dump that has a vbanded plate on it for track use, and there is a 3.5" that is run all the way to the back of the car through a single muffler. The 3.5" has almost no clearance, so I might massage the mount tower a bit for room.

IP1PDSt.jpgZKPXi4B.jpgMC3L0c6.jpg

I've often heard that you don't want to use the compressor cover for a brace location. Reason being; when things inevitably flex, there is a good chance the compressor cover will distort and the wheel will eat itself. 

Could be an internet myth, but I'm personally not going to risk it.

This whole kit looks top notch. Give your welder a pat on the back.  Good work snaking 3.5" down the passenger's side. This is the main reason I went to a different mount setup. Also, I was tired of having a bag of hardware and big clunky brackets.

This thing will be a runner, no doubt!!!!

I've often heard that you don't want to use the compressor cover for a brace location. Reason being; when things inevitably flex, there is a good chance the compressor cover will distort and the wheel will eat itself.

Could be an internet myth, but I'm personally not going to risk it.

This whole kit looks top notch. Give your welder a pat on the back. Good work snaking 3.5" down the passenger's side. This is the main reason I went to a different mount setup. Also, I was tired of having a bag of hardware and big clunky brackets.

This thing will be a runner, no doubt!!!!

Normally I would agree on the attachment point but it's not a load bearing attachment. The kit is gusseted in multiple places and he's never had sag issues . I actually made him add the triangulation point which I will not keep under load. It's just to keep the weight pulling on an inward arc.

I actually bought new mounts but he decided to use the old ones since it fits well enough and the dump tube will be used for most racing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Latest update, got the car together and drove it to and from the track. (Chasing an overheating issue, but I think I have an airbubble somewhere :( ) Once at the track, we took the hood off to keep it cool enough to make some passes. Best run of a 9.1 @148 so far. Didn't have time to do much with the tune yet, so its pretty dirty and its only at 14psi (Motor is built for 25+) Next time I go it should run mid 8s without batting an eye, and still all on 91 octane + methanol.

xUDXWzx.jpg?1

Unfortunately the only video I got was my slowest and first pass of 9.8. You can hear the miss on the launch in this video.

http://youtu.be/a9a3Jx9l1hY

Edited by mistafosta

Love the build and fabulous fab work. Honest question for the purpose of learning: can you remove the spark plugs with the exhaust manifolds installed backwards?

Absolutely. Its actually easier than when I had headers on the procharged setup. Takes about 10 mins to do a plug swap on the car.

@ Keith - With my setup (two pass. manifolds flipped) its not bad at all.  The pass side will be tricky, but do-able. The next kit I do will have a down and forward configuration, vs the mix i have now.

Yeah, originally I was going to do mine like yours, but then we figured out we could fit them down low on both sides and still run a full 3.5" exhaust (Also have a 5" dump tube for the track)

My only worry is that at the HP I will be running, my block will eventually give up the ghost, and then I don't know if a 6 bolt block is possible with these manifolds...

• 3 weeks later...

The six bolt eats up precious room in an area that doesn't have a lot to spare. Especially with the firewall moved back a bit. Outstanding results at the track by the way. Seeing results like this makes the wait for an engine build a bit less painful.

• 3 months later...

Went to the track again, didn't get many passes and I broke a rocker bolt midday. (Fixed it and still drove the 80 miles back home after racing as usual lol

http://youtu.be/kTF-CCRO4qs

I'm still around 14psi, just got a good tune going, and fixed some little issues. Was leaving at 3psi though, which is way less than I usually did on the blower

Edited by mistafosta