HybridZ

Starting to Worry

Phantom

About a year ago a new problem started to appear. Whenever I would step on the gas lightly in 6th gear at low RPM I would get a rattling sound and slight vibration out of the rear end of the car. Under heavy load (full throttle) it would go away. It didn't do it in any other gear. I got under the car and went through every nut/bolt on the drivetrain and suspension and made sure they were all tight. Also looked for "shiny spots" and saw none. Even looked at the exhaust on the off chance it was involved somehow. Didn't find anything. Now the sound/vibration is worse and occurs in 4th & 5th as well as 6th. Anyone else encountered something like this? Really don't want something to detonate on me like the u-joint I lost on a halfshaft about 5 years ago. Any suggestions?

Drivetrain is LS1/T56/R200 LSD w/u-joint half shafts. This is a JCI conversion the whole way. The only difference is that the T56 tailshaft is connected directly to the R200 nose with a pair of C-channel that form something similar to a Corvette torque tube. The driveshaft runs through the center of the channels. This was done only on my car because it was considered too elaborate for a kit and not offered commercially.

Edited by Phantom

Rebekahsz - Absolutely not. Spare tire well is padded and has nothing in it. The noise is RPM related and has a vibration associated with it. Having detonated a halfshaft u-joint in the past I'm getting pretty paranoid about this. The car got home from tri-cityies (about 90 miles)last Saturday but I was nervous the whole way. I need to get under it again and do a more serious inspection. There has to be some kind of indication of what is going on.

Good suggestion. The sound/vibration I get doesn't sound like a differential issue but it needs to be eliminated as a possibility. I'm really thinking it's a half-shaft u-joint. A slow failure is difficult to detect in those things based on the last failure I had so I'm going to really dig into them over the next few weeks. It's tax time and I want to be sure I still have some money left after I pay the feds and the county property taxes.

• 4 weeks later...

I was headed out of my driveway yesterday when I rolled across a rough spot that I normally avoid because I'd get a "thump" that sounded like one of the rear struts wasn't bolted down tightly on the top. I had checked them a few times and both were tight so it had me perplexed. Yesterday there was no "thump". Now I have another audible tell-tale of loose differential mounting bolts. Two worrisome noises with one cure. Now I only have one loose nut in the car rather than three. :-)

Thank you for coming back and posting the solution.  Many times people are left wondering what was the ultimate cause.

Cheers.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm still thinking about going in and backing up the nut and lock washer set-up with a nylon insert locknut. I don't ever want this to happen again. It really messes with my Z quality time. This time it caused me to miss a Maryhill Loop hill climb near Goldendale, WA. Bummer :-(

Take a look at Nord-lock lock washers. We use those at my work (industrial) and they never loosen. They are a bit expensive but very reliable. I also use them on header bolts and have never had any issues with them. http://www.nord-lock.com/nord-lock/wedge-locking/washers/introduction/

Thanks for the suggestion.  I figured I'd jet back up the existing stuff with some nylocks.  This is a good alternative.