HybridZ

Bummed... need some profesional help...

Dragonfly

My little problem I had with oil fouling on #4 cylinder just became much much worse. I pulled the head and took it into the machine shop and the owner said it looked like #4 piston contacted the head :eek: he told me when I got home to see if there were indications on the piston of contact.

Upon inspection of the piston (which was at BDC) I found evidence of contact but I also found two perfectly matched and radiused grooves cut 1/8" into the cylinder wall :confused: thats when I realized that my circlip on my full floating (damn expensive) forged piston broke :mad: and allowed the wrist pin to do some custom machining into my cylinder wall.

My delima is that I have 3K into this stroker and this is going to cost me aprox. $700 in parts, labor, repair work etc. and of course there is no way of regaining these expenditures. If I decide to go V8 then I need to get the engine, transmission, JTR manual, and any number of small misc. stuff to put it all together and get it on the road. This is where I need profesional help... are there any shrinks on the board bonk.gif ?

Dragonfly

Yeah, go V8. Maybe you can recoup some money on the stroker (just pull the piston and fix), unless you are in love with the I-6 and depending on how far you want to chase the engine as a money pit. Even a low performing V8 should give you the kind of happy driving that the stroker does.

If you need any help with parts (engines etc) let me know. I have a bunch of SBC stuff, incl. an engine.

Tim

Well Tim now that you mention it... I was thinking almost exactly what you just said. I am going to get the engine running again, get a dyno sheet on it and put it up for sale to try to recoup some money then go V8.

Since you have a stock pile of sbc stuff laying around you may have just saved me some shopping time. Do you happen to have the JTR manual laying around as well?

I have a spare (bone stock) L28 in back that I am going to put in the car until I get the stroker back on its feet then I will start working on the sbc.

Dragonfly

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Damn circlips!!! I have heard of a number of Z engines expiring due to this little item.

That's why many people have went with teflon buttons instead.

I say do something different and go V8!

Later,norm

1fixer1 if you would like to talk me out of the parts before I do the repairs send me an email no later than Friday and we will talk about what I have and how much I want.

Since you are local (to me) there is a chance that you may have seen my car before. If you have made it down to the racelegal races at Qualcomm I have raced nearly every time they were open for most of the year running this engine. I am also the VP of the Z Club of San Diego so if you have ever seen a large group of Z's cruising by I would have most likely been in the pack.

My Z is a white 72' with black hood vents and inspection covers, black type "R" whale tale, black air dam that is aprox. 3" above the road, and very large Centerline wheels. The car also has Dragonfly written of each side and a hand painted graphic on the power bulge on the hood.

I can be contacted through this forum or you can go to www.zcsd.org and look under the club officers section.

Dragonfly

Miles,

This what I have....take your pick:

1971 sbc, 4 bolt '10' block. 350 ci, virgin I believe, but wouldn't stake my life on it.

Complete from oil pan to carb.

I have a JTR manual.

I have a TH400 tranny, but you will likely want OD.

Might be interested in your '2.8' motor for my daily driver.

Next time you're in the LA area, let me know. This week I'm in Big Bear for a conference.

Be back on Friday.

Tim

Tim at this time my plans are to put my spare engine in, repair the stroker and make a couple of changes to bump up the power a little, seat the new rings, get a dyno pull or two then put it up for sale to help finance the V8 swap.

I would have to say that unless 1fixer1 buys all my parts before I make the repairs I would be interested in doing some trading with you. You are correct about the transmission, not only do I want an overdrive I would also prefer to run a T56 or at least a 5spd if I just can't find a reasonably priced T56.

By Monday (11-11-02) morning the repairs will start on the stroker and at that time I will no longer be willing to sell parts, it will either be all or nothing.

Dragonfly

Guest Anonymous

Yo Miles,

Bummer about the engine. I wish I had beaten you out of a ride before, so I could compare with my 2.6 and then with the new V8 rockon.gif Oh well......

I'm not ready to go stroker (or V8, for that matter), but will call you tonight to see what else you might have left over after the conversion (any R200's?). I also have a question for you on ZCSD membership.........

Later,

Randy