HybridZ

Is raising turbo compression going to help??

I'm waiting more and with the list of mods to come this winter in my signiture would raising comppression in my motor going to hurt the performance or 1/4 times that I could have with out the rasied compression. I was planning on using the flat tops out of the N/A in place of the turbo set. Would this be a good mod or no baised on my mods to be?? I'm really wanting to beat this Iroc guy that I know he posts on www.thirdgen.org and he has the nerve to post with his name as 1meanz ****hole that car's not a z car us guys are the ones with zcars it's been classified as that I that really flamedevil.gif me up. Help me kick his *** hard core.

tbs

Guest Anonymous

there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Raising the compression on a turbo you run the risk of detonation.However this can be overcome.

If you really want to spank this clown, I have a few ideas.First, a MSD adjustable timing control, PN# MSD-8680 $95.95 at summitracing.com .Second, an adjustable boost kit PN#10-2136 $127.50 at zcarparts.com .Third, some high octane race fuel. I use F&L race fuel 111 octane at $4.40 per gallon. 2thumbs.gif

I wouldn't waste your money on the adjustable boost kit, when you can make your own for about $10.

Raising compression can help, depending on what else you are doing with your setup. Personally I don't like the 7.3:1 ratio of the stock turbos, and feel that it should be up around 8.0:1-8.5:1. Better spool up, better off boost economy, more low end torque. You will sacrifice peak power somewhat, but 99% of people will agree that you're better off with a broad power band than a higher peak. (to which I can't emphasize enough having build a formula-style race car!) There are of course exceptions. (upper levels of racing)

If you are in the process of modifying, I'd change the pistons while you have the chance. However, you should still be able to kick this Iroc guys ass without opening the engine up. (good I/C, T3/T04 and good engine management)

there is a point where the efficiency gained from raising the compression is outweighed by the power generated from the ability to run more boost. Make sense?

Here is a hypothetical example:

7.4:1 I can run 24psi on 94octane

8.5:1 I can run 19psi on 94octane

Although I gained 5% efficiency from the rise in compression, the 7.4:1 motor made more power because I can run 5psi more boost w/out detonation. So, try to keep the motor in the 8:1 range for most street applications.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I know your planning on adding larger injectors but I am not fully sold on the idea of big injectors on a stock fuel computer. Going up on the compression is cool if you have the tunablity of a stand alone fuel computer or you could always play with the stock stuff and see how far you could go. If your ride has turbo electronics it's not going to advance the timing a whole lot so run some race gas and lots of ignition advance as far as you can if you get 29 degres (I dont think you will) you should make some good hp's. If you have N/A electronics it will go that far up and thats cool on race gas and 18psi but you got to check that for sure you dont want to ping. The boost retard metion above will keep you safe but on race gas you may not need it. If you dont have a real good clutch get one, I like the ACT solid disc and at least a turbo 300zx pressure plate. Connect that to a 3.90 and Mcquery G60 on a stock turbo rim and the car should run 13.60's. If the Chevy is a I-ROC on NOS and tires your gonna need more work than that. But most of those cars say from 88-91 ran low 14's back in the day. If his car is in super good shape making the same horsepower it did when it whas new it could give you a run. Your car on Mcquery's or a softer tire is gonna leave a lot harder and I dont think he's gonna have the MPH to catch up. If you want him beat for sure keep the boost to no more than 12psi and hit it with a 100shot on NOS he wont know what hit him. Good luck and make us proud. So a quick recap I think and its just my .02 cents going up on the compression with turbo electronics will be cool or just boost the hell out of it, pretty much the same difference and NOS is the bomb. Good luck.

Alex C

you guys know that I do have 84 eccs turbo electroics and hopfully if the code is cracked then I will have my ecu reprogramed for more fuel, I understand not to run as much boost to keep out of detonation also I don't want to run race fuel in my car that's to expensive, I want to have a daily driver hey drax240z what did you do to be able to run your boost with the high compression raito?? I'm intersteded in getting my car into the low 13's- high 12's.

I didn't do anything, I am running stock 82 turbo compression. Unless you are mucking around with engine internals, I wouldn't bother upping CR, not for a modestly built street car. You can definately get into the high 12's without changing pistons and CR.