HybridZ

1978 280z to 1981 280zx motor swap questions

I just picked up a 1978 280z. The previous owners decided to leave sit out side with no spark plugs in it for 2-4 years and they also decided to take a meat cleaver to the engine wiring harness ...

My questions are. I found a l28 out of a 1981 automatic 280zx with all if it's electrical pieces wires sensors ecm ect. Pretty much a couple drop out. Would I have any issues putting my manual transmission behind it dropping it in and getting it running ?

I know the body styles have changed but I know nothing about the electrical. Any help would be awesome

Transmission will work, just make sure you get all of the auto pieces gone and all the manual bits off the old engine onto the new.  Don't forget a pilot bushing.

The re-wiring you'll have to do will be EFI (engine) harness to body harnesses.  And it shouldn't be that bad if you can follow the circuit diagrams from the two Factory Service Manuals you'll need - one for the '78 280Z and one for the '81 280ZX. 

If you don't have them go to xenons30.com (early Z), xenons130.com (280ZX) OR nicoclub.com/datsun-service-manuals

The EFI harness is mostly self-contained, but it has a few non-EFI related connections (coolant temp gauge wiring and etc.).  And you'll need to check power supply, and fuel pump operation for changes between the two models (maybe ignition).  Changes shouldn't be dramatic...

Edited by cgsheen