HybridZ

Which tachometer to buy???

Guest larkja

Guest larkja

I just had the shop install an MSD 6A ignition box which means my stock tach no longer works. I would like to pick up a used tach (ebay?) rather than pay the $200+ for a new one.

1. What would you recommend?

2. What size do I need to get to fit into the stock opening?

3. Are there any that just plug right into the MSD box?

I don't need the top of the line, just something that works well.

Thanks

Jim

A 280Z one will bolt in easily and work for the eletronic ignition. They can be found pretty cheaply in the junk yards. Look up Brian Little's web page on how to do the swap, I think you have to swap the leads, and use the old metal housing. You can swap the face over if you want, the red line is a little different I think, and the lettering is slightly different.

If you go aftermarket I think 5" is the size these things are.

I almost did something different and grabbed a porsche vdo tach, the needle starts out pointing directly south and goes on up from there, but the one I had my hands on only went up to 6K rpm, so I put it back. It would fit in the Z really easily. I bet there are others with higher readings, would be unique.

I installed a Jacobs ignition in my 70 240. To make the tach work with the Jacobs box I had to install two black boxes, I think they went around the coil (can't remember). Anyway Jacobs electronics had some devices that would make the stock 240 tach work with the CD ignition.

I have always wondered whether these boxes would make the tach work with other ignitions.

• 5 months later...

I just installed a Cranecams Hi-6 CD ignition box which is similiar to the MSD 6A and my stock tach would no longer work after that. Both Cranecams and MSD make a Tach adapter #8920. I chose to use the MSD one because it was half the price $45 US. Installation consist of hooking up three wires and mounting, took me about 15 minutes to install and it works great with the stock tach. You can order that or an assortment of aftermarket tachs from www.jegs.com

I may want to upgrade the guages next year but have to hold off for now. I would rather buy that tach for $130 than sink $45 into the adaptor but will want to hold off at least till next year. I have a 280Z tachometer that I pulled from the junkyard a few months ago. I've heard that one will work with electronic ignitions. I guess I will just install that one for now. Does anyone know how to wire it or has a link to a site that shows how? Can this be accomplished without taking the dash out?

Thanks,

Marcos :D

Guest empracing

hey fellers i had a stock carby tacho on an efi electronic ignition car and it worked fine dont know what i did but there you go anyway the real answer i wanted to post here was that i had a autometer monsta tach with shift light on a L28e from a 82 280zx in a 260z and the shift light used to make the motor cut out for a second never found out why but it happened at any rpm i set it at