HybridZ

Failed emissions, so frustrated..

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, those of you that have been following my previous threads should know what I've done so far. I had to loosen the AFM about 16 notches in order to get it to stop backfiring through the intake manifold and to run right. It runs like a top right now.

Today I had to get get the emissions done on it, I passed all tests, including the revving test they do, but I failed the one where it idles. Here is what the readings said:

Hydrocarbons are supposed to be 250, mine were 354.

Carbon Monoxides are supposed to be 2.00, mine were 6.62.

I want to say it's the AFM that's causing the problem but at the same time I want to say those AFM adjustments I made are only covering up another problem. It's apparent that it's running too rich at idle. Any thoughts on this? Could it just be the AFM? I'm headed over to Scottsdale Nissan tonight for the Z club meet, my damn temporary tag expires today. Hopefully those guys can give some insight as well. Thanks for caring.

Chris

Guest Anonymous

To get my 280z to pass emissions in NC I had to do the samething with the air flow meter. Had a bigger cam in the car. For the idle test car had to idle under 1000 rpms. Hydrocarbons were fine above 900 with that cam. I rigged the throttle linkage to hang up just above idle. Maybe that would help you also. Mark

Guest Anonymous

Okay..

I went to the local Z meeting tonight and spoke with one of the best mechanics, also the one that looked at my car about a year before a bought it. Apparently my car had been sitting for almost 2 years, this mechanic thinks that my fuel tank is clogged.. providing enough pressure but not enough fuel flow. Makes sense. Buddy of mine still thinks it's the AFM that's borked. Even though it runs fine it's apparent that it's running WAY too rich at idle. So, that leaves me with one option. Drain the tank again, go have it dipped in acid and flushed and buy a new AFM. I'm going to replace the fuel pump as well. Any of you guys know where I can get some good deals on those items? Any thoughts?

Chris