my build is

rb30det

gtr 440cc injectors

stock rb25det turbo

stock 20det afm

front facing plenum

front mount intercooler

90mm throttle body

Im hoping to run a tune of around 400hp-450hp, not wanting a lot just enough.

I may end up trying for more later but for now that figure suits me.

I am having issues with tunerpro rt, romedit, live edit and nistune(trial version).

the issue is I cant get the engine to idle at the k constant that nistune gives me, which is 235 for 440cc(gtr injectors) rb20det stock map with k value changed to 235(00eb) and latency to 76 (4c) . it idles in afrs 12-13 around k value 200-205 but its rough as guts, keeps missing etc, sounding like its lean on lc-1 (i run a vg30e with megasquirt and same lc-1 and it works magic).

Ive checked loads of forums and sites and everyone uses 235 for 440cc injectors. its just not working for me. I also cant rev the engine like it should, it sputters and coughs then revs. i played around with the vq data and scaled it up a bit more and it seemed to fix that but when under load it shoots my lc-1 off scale and the engine begins to die, either too lean or too rich it doesnt tell me.

I tried stock maps through romedit and live edit and they still gave me problems, nistune wasnt much help either. Im now back with the 270cc injectors as it ran mint with those with a chipped rom in a stock rb20det ecun(i didnt drive it as it would have gone way lean but it idled, revved, did everything an engine should). even now it wont work with these injectors. I tried to read the data on the rom chip with moates burn2, and I dont get anything. I was hoping to see how they put their bins together. i have checked all my plugs and they all fire(wasted spark), ive gone through and unplugged an injector at a time to see if it would stumble and nothing has changed. Im using moates ostrich 2 to emulate.

so all in all im stuck. Ive annoyed the neighbors haha, had complaints already, but that wont stop me getting this done.

Any help from you guys would be highly appreciated!

Any bins or xdfs or adrs etc etc ill try them all and see. Im just after a solution! if not Ill buy a chip off trademe(ebays equiv in nz) and try that.

i have probably left out a few things so if your confused just ask me what you need to know.

cheers fellas!!

kind regards

Chris

Can the ECU your running operate both high and low impedance injectors? Stock RB20 are high but GTR 440's are low.

Also curious about the ECU youre using. Difficult to tell from the post.

And to reach 400-450, I think your MAF and turbo will hold you back. Those stock turbos are only good to around 10-12psi to be safe (you can go higher but you'll nearly be out of the efficiency range and youll eventually blow the turbo). Most people swap to the Z32 MAF for higher HP. I've never seen over 250-300 with the stock 20 MAF. Not saying it hasn't been done, I've just never seen nor read of one, and the Z32 is a simple swap. Just need to adjust the tune for it.

hey guys cheers for replying so soon.

srf:

Im not permitted to upload a file??? what your addy mate ill send it to ya that way or do you know how i can add it in here? Im using the standard r32 rb20det loom, I have rewired it to run the injector drop resisitors and i have it pluggable so I can change from high impedance to low. saves trying to rewire it every time. ive gone through and checked all of my continuity too and its all reading as per the FSM. the ecu number is MEC-R125  23710 01u11. I bought it chipped (expo D tuning) when i did my 20de+t conversion like 2 years ago. I believe its either a rb20det AT or a 92 MT ecu. just something that came up with a search. it has an adapter which alowd me to easily remove the original EPROM but i cant see any thing when i try read it. I get 1kb max from a saved buffer? using burn2 as stated above.

Bernard:

Not yet i will go into town to get some more, I just need a good base bin as plugs arent cheap for these 6 cylinders haha. dont want to foul a brand new set.

RV3O 3VOM:

Ive wired them in with drop resisistors from a gtr, it has a plug so i can bypass them if i want high impedance ones to work. yeah sorry about the lack of info, my head was going crazy, i spent all night the night before decifering hex, first time ive ever used it. i have the relative knowledge now to make a tune but clearly my skills are not there yet haha. yeah im leaning toward a bigger turbo and maf latter as its gonna cost be 55 an hour on the dyno. all i need that for is power runs, so i can go back in a latter date easy and cheaply enough. although ill double check if its a 20det or 25det maf. as I have two.

Cheers again guys,

will update soon.

hey guys, quick update.

thanks bernardd!! I changed the plugs and put my rb20de ecu on just to see if there were in issues between ecus, and boom. she started right up idled nice, not back firing until it got into the after crank enrichment stage then it started to lean out. so i then changed ecus to my rb20det one (still with the 270cc's in) uploaded a base tune from live edit and it started right up and runs mint!!! still goes lean after a while but that again is the after crank enrichment. So all in all after hours of trying this out with bad k values and 440cc injectors it seemed I fouled the original plugs. they work when tested out side of the head but when they were in the head the compression was probably blowing the spark out or just completely flouding the plugs.

so right now im waiting for the engine to cool down so I can change to the 440's. and upload a tune I got from this site. does a kvalue of 157-8 sound right for 440's?

the .xdf file I recieved from tuner pro sets the 270cc's to 411. that was wayyyyy too high and 440cc to 235!! as the live edit sets 270's at 257 and it was perfectly registering on my lc-1.

Im going to try 157 with the 440's in and see what happens.

i will update after a test run.

cheers

chris

so finally it cooled down enough to change the injectors from 270 to 440cc. I uploaded a stock rb20det map with a 157 k value. i lowered the min ttp to around 3, double checked everything and low and behold its started fine!! I plugged in my lc-1 and it was registering lean like 18-19 afr so I closed live edit and rom edit and opened tunerpro rt so I could emulate with it(saves going to emutility all the time), I raised the k value to meet the afr on the map from the rb20det and its at 185. its running perfectly now. I noticed when i went to boost it at full boost it was reading 11-12 and i wanted 9-9.5 i found out that the romedit map finished at .01bar, I think that was the problem cos I soon went into livedit and shunted it across(idle is around -.67) and its sort of fixed it its making 10.5-11 at 6psi. I just need to load more columns in tunerpro to allow me to tune up to 10-12psi. but for now im stoked!! its running and running in safe afrs. ill do the final adjustments on the dyno but for now its good enough.

Id like to put a huge thanks to the developers of live edit, rom editer and tuner pro. without them id be around 800 bucks short in the pocket so cheers fellas!!