HybridZ

How many gallons does it take to start the car after the tan

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Okay, so I put everything back together on my car and it isn't starting. How many gallons does it take to start the car after the tank is has been flushed and is bone dry? I put 2 gallons in and it isn't starting. I have a feeling it could be the feel pump all though I do hear the pump humming after I crank it for a bit, it hums for about 3 seconds. Any ideas? Anyway to prime the system?

Chris

Guest Anonymous

remove the fuel line in the engine compartment at the fuel filter and carefully turn the engine to see if there is fuel pressure from the gas tank. It should take no more than 1 gallon to pump.Beware that if it is pumping.. a lot will come out. If it does not pump.Blow some air thru the fuel line to the fuel pump checking for restrictions.you sholid hear air gurgling in the gas tank. if no restrictions check your fuel pump ground and hotwire connections or run a hotwire back to the fuel pump to jump start it. You also have some electrical connections for the fuel pump under the passenger seat. Does the fuel gauge work?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, the fuel gauge works. I blew air through the tank and it does gurgle and it I blew before I put gas in the tank and it blew through fine. The connections are solid. I removed the line going into the fuel filter and no fuel pumps out. The fuel pump I got was used from a salvage yard. When I turn key on with my head under the car I do not hear it humming, I think I might hear it click though. After about 8 seconds of cranking, with my head under the car, I believe I can hear the fuel tank hum for about 2 or 3 seconds after I finish cranking.. although it may not be the fuel pump. Sure sounds like it though. So at this point either the fuel pump is dead or I need to prime it some how. Any other suggestions?

Chris

Guest Anonymous

Any other solutions??? from any one ?Run a hot lead back to your fuel pump and secure it properly to the fuel pump to prevent arcing and connect to your battery to see if it pumps.. sounds like your pump died. You can remove it and check it out.

Take the pump off the car and bench test it. The clicking you hear is probably the relay. You do have the pump running through a relay don't you?

Make sure pump is wired correctly and that it is not trying to pump back into the tank. Are you running a mechanical pump off the engine?

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, so, that pump from the salvage yard was bad. I put the old pump back in. The f***er is STILL starving for fuel at idle, if I adjust the afm to run really rich then it stops. When I adjust the afm to run rich, I am able to rev the car fine.. even to redline. This leaves only one more thing, the afm. The afm has to be messed up. Still getting those damn backfires through the intake. So frustrated. cry2.gif

Chris

Chris,

Watch your choice of words, no telling what audience is watching. I'd hate for someones 8 year old kid to be reading posts over their shoulder and see that. You might want to edit you post above, adding some characters in place of a couple of the letters will get your feelings across.

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Well, I gave in and bought a fuel pressure gauge. Will test it tommorow. Time to rule out pressure before I get a brand new fuel pump or an AFM. Sorry about the language, just frustrated.

Chris