HybridZ

S30 with vg30e to vg30et swap

415DZ

Hey everyone! So I'm not the most mechanically inclined, so please bare with me. I have 1971 240z with a vg30e motor swap done by a previous owner. I want more power out of it and I got a quote to have rebello build it to @300hp. It's not cheap, but it seems like it would be something i really like.

I was also thinking of bolting on turbo parts from the vg30et but then I run into compression issues etc.

I recently found a 1988 300zx turbo that I can buy and swap the entire motor, tranny, and rear end.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that car comes with a r200 clsd rear end right?

So my question is would the motor just drop in or with there need to be a lot of fabrication like custom mounts and or custom manifolds? Also which ecu would you recommend for such a swap? Just use the stock ecu from the 300zx or go for a mega squirt type system?

My goals are a street driver car with decent power that will be reliable and fun to drive. I may occasionally track it but not a big focus. Somewhere around 250hp-300hp is more than enough power.

Thanks in advance!

The 88t came with a CLSD from the factory, yes. That's nice to have.

The stock Z31 turbo manifolds and/or turbo will not fit on the VG30. The steering rack is in the way. You might be able to use a relocation pipe. There are a couple documented build threads on this site. I've done one of them.

I do not recommend spending money on a built NA VG30. For $5000 you will get maybe, maybe 200hp. For that price and perhaps a bit more on a turbo motor you can get custom manifolds and a built motor and make 300-500hp easily. None of the Z31s have 'high' compression by today's standard. It's actually somewhat preferable to get a NA Z31 and do a turbo swap, as the 9:1 ratio works well with mid-range turbos.

I do not recommend using the stock ECU. Using Megasquirt will be simpler.

Edited by BLOZ UP