HybridZ

Part Identification - Fuel Rail/Throttle Linkage

A quick second to "reintroduce" myself..     I previously owned an '85 300ZX Turbo with an RB25DET swap, was the first one here in the states.   That's how I came to be a member of Hybridz.   I've owned three Z31's, then was without Z for the past six years.  

Well I cured that problem last week when I purchased a '76 280Z that I'm super excited to start restoration and work on for the next few years.

That being said, I've perused the FSM and the fuel injection bible, started getting myself familiar with this engine and car since I haven't owned one before, and spent a good day searching the forums learning and reading.    So far so good, I haven't had any problems figuring out the new ride until I hit this one part I've never seen before on any car.   Now please understand this is my first L28 Z, and I've never owned a car this old before and have worked on only a handful of cars this old.   So here's my question:

On the fuel rail, there is a diaphragm (I think) operated part that has a small arm that looks like it should be activated by the mechanical throttle linkage.   From what I can tell is seems to be only operated when the throttle is completely closed, and basically a tab of metal on the throttle linkage is supposed to push the diaphragm arm inwards, which makes some kind of adjustment to the fuel pressure or possibly air intake, not really sure since it was dark when I started looking at it.   Without having any clue as to what it might be called, I had a hard time searching for it.   I have no doubts it's been posted about probably dozens of times here in the forums, but since I don't know what it is or what it does, I haven't had luck finding it.   The FSM didn't seem to list it, but since it looks just like the pressure regulator I'm sure I must have missed it.   

If somebody can just identify the name of it that's all I need, I can easily reference it online and through the FSM and figure the rest out myself.

Thanks!

The "Fast Idle Control Device" (F.I.C.D) sends vacuum to the "Fast Idle Actuator" when the A/C is turned on. FICD is one of the solenoid magnet valves over by the battery and the fast idle actuator is bolted to the intake plenum. Sounds like you're talking about the fast idle actuator.

For confirmation there are some pics on pages AC-30 and AC36.